• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

look at the way

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following excerpts from two different English texts?

“Harry, look at the way those men are carrying that china cupboard. You must tell them to be careful. I am sure they are going to break everything.”

“A third approach is to look at the way the forces transform when we shift reference frames. Fictitious forces, those that arise due to the acceleration of a frame, disappear in inertial frames, and have complicated rules of transformation in general cases. On the basis of universality of physical law and the request for frames where the laws are most simply expressed, inertial frames are distinguished by the absence of such fictitious forces.”

way = manner, mode, as in: a way of life, a manner/mode of living

look for a way to do something

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: look at the way

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following excerpts from two different English texts?

“Harry, look at the way those men are carrying that china cupboard. You must tell them to be careful. I am sure they are going to break everything.”

“A third approach is to look at the way the forces transform when we shift reference frames. Fictitious forces, those that arise due to the acceleration of a frame, disappear in inertial frames, and have complicated rules of transformation in general cases. On the basis of universality of physical law and the request for frames where the laws are most simply expressed, inertial frames are distinguished by the absence of such fictitious forces.”

way = manner, mode, as in: a way of life, a manner/mode of living

look for a way to do something

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    If we substitute "look at the manner in which" for "look at the way", the meaning becomes clearer.

So your interpretation seems fine to me.

buggles(not a teacher)