have and did

Have you got any update from him?
    Did you get any update from him?

What is the difference between both the words?

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: have and did

Quote Originally Posted by tp123456 View Post

What is the difference between both the words?
    Not much, really. The nuance is this:

Have you ... <the event is in focus>
    Did you ... <when the event took place is in focus>

But native speakers will use the two interchangeably.

The verb form is Present Perfect. The speaker is asking whether, up to this moment in time, NOW, an update has been received or not. Visually, it would be:

.....<P__________________________>|NOW............ ....
    There was a time in the past, P, when someone said they would send an update. The speaker is thinking in terms of the amount of time that has passed, enough time for this person to have had a chance to send it, so...as of this moment NOW, is it here? The implication is, that if it hasn't arrived, they are going to have to keep waiting.

This is in the Past tense. (This is easier to see if we change it into a statement instead of a question:
    "We got the update."
    Past tense refers to facts that are completed actions in the past. Something either did or didn't happen - yes, no.
    Using this form of the verb, the speaker is only concerned with the fact whether it arrived or not. His perspective is possibly that he needs it for a meeting in 10 minutes, so ...how long it has been since they were told it was 'on the way', or that it might arrive later that day or tomorrow is irrelevant: he needs it right now - is it here or not?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Smile Re: have and did

This present perfect form of get is equal to the form of have got for possession. The asker of such a question is rather interested in whether you are in possession of any update from him available or not now. The focus is on the possession of something.
    Did you get any update from him? focuses on the reception of something. The asker might be interested more in knowing whether you got any update from him some time ago.
    In US English, there's yet another form to say that:
    Have you gotten any update from him? comprising the two above meanings in just one interrogative sentence.

engee: This present perfect form of get is equal to the form of have got for possession.

This statement is likely to cause confusion.

Have you got my letter yet? I sent it Tuesday.

It is clear from the context, that in the use of 'have got' here, we cannot say "focus is on the possession of something" as engee states, but on 'receiving/having received' the letter.

Unlike many languages, English has a particular word for denoting possession - 'have'.
    "I have a book", into Russian, literally translates as, "The book (is) at me." - 'possession' is denoted by 'proximity to the person'.

'have' has other meanings, and is also used to form the Present Perfect. This rather watered down the impact of the sense of 'possession' with such statements as, "I have a new car", and 'possession' was reinforced by adding 'got': "I have got a new car/I've got a new car". The intent of this change was to emphasize 'possession', not to change from Present tense to Present Perfect tense.

So, there is the Present Perfect tense form 'have got'. There is its use to add emphasis; and further, is the intended meaning of 'have got' that of 'possession/owning', of 'receiving', or even, 'going out and buying'? The wider context of the conversation would make it clear; but in the sentences that tp123456 gives for discussion, there is sufficient:
    'from him' immediately indicates 'receive from him' - one does not ''possess from him"
    'any update' compare 'the update':
    with the definite article, as in "Have you got the update? Could I have a copy for reference?" translates as, 'do you have the update in your possession so that I can take a copy of it'.
    But in the given sentence:
    Have you got any update from him? - this translates as ' has any update been received from him, (or are the old figures/whatever still valid/if one has, I need to see it before...)

It is important not to confuse and confound the possible meanings that one word may have, and the information provided about the speaker's perspective on a situation from the tense form of the verb used.
    Last edited by David L.; 24-Apr-2009 at 03:05.

Thumbs up Re: have and did

Thanks allot all of you for putting your knowledge to answer my query.