• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

• Post Thanks / Like

Please explain the following in bold in easy English.

1. There are 25~30 black rhinos in the Kenya/Tanzania borderlands, 13 in the Moru region, and a few isolated and small pockets elsewhere---or rather 'crashes' the seemingly appropriate collective noun for rhinoceroses! Together with crashes outside the Serengeti it is estimated that there are presently about 2,000 throughout Africa.

In the above, does "pockets" mean "some isolated areas"? Is it saying that "there are 13 rhinos in a few isolated and small areas including Moru region"? and What does "crashes" mean and refer to?

2. Our desire for believing in intuition is fuelled by the success stories of rhino strategy adherents who have succeeded---they kept trusting their intuition and did not give up. I would suggest that there is little more dangerous in business than an intuitively driven rhino charge strategy.

Is this saying "following intuition is more dangerous in business than an intuitively driven rhino charge strategy?" I'm confused about the expression "there is little more dangerous in business than..." I think it should be "there is a little more danger in following intuition in business than..."

Thank you.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: pockets/crashes

Your definition of "pockets" is correct.

"Crash" is the rather archaic but poetic and proper collective for rhinos. Just as it's a "parliament" of owls or a "huddle" of hippos. Once, last spring, in Botswana, I was in a helicopter over the savanna and we saw what one could never see from the ground: a group of hippos nearly submerged under water, all nose to nose, their tails like markers on a clock. I looked for the proper collective and was amazed to see that it was "huddle" - which was perhaps the best word I could have ever used!

There are often many collectives from which you may chose, depending on your mood. For hippos, for example, you might also say, "a bloat of hippos." But "huddle" was the best for my story. For example, you could say a "cry of hounds" or a "pack of hounds" - each presents a different spirit. The cry would probably be noisily pursuing a fox; the pack would perhaps be simply quietly running together.

"There is little more dangerous" means that there aren't many options that are more dangerous. "There is a little more danger" means that it is more dangerous to do this.