• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

break the ice / stand out from the crowd

Dear teachers,

Here is a sentence from an English text that attracted my attention:

This helps break the ice and makes your business stand out from the crowd.

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold?

break the ice = make a start, pave the way, relax a tense or very formal situation

stand out from the crowd = With the multitude of marketing techniques employed today, we have to try to create a strong, memorable company identity in order to come out ahead in our commercially overloaded marketplace. We may have had anxieties about being in crowds as a child, so crowds could simply represent anxiety. We can feel unhappy about being part of the herd; we may feel "lost in the crowd" and want to "stand out from the crowd.”

“Stand out” is a very prepossessing verb as well as protrude, prominent, outstanding, be distinguished, excel.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: break the ice / stand out from the crowd

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Here is a sentence from an English text that attracted my attention:

This helps break the ice and makes your business stand out from the crowd.

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold?

break the ice = make a start, pave the way, relax a tense or very formal situation Yes. Also keep in mind this is a very common idiom. There are published collections of 'ice-breakers,' activities used to dissolve the tension between people who don't know each other and who have gathered for a common purpose (the first day of class, a professional conference, et cetera).

stand out from the crowd = With the multitude of marketing techniques employed today, we have to try to create a strong, memorable company identity in order to come out ahead in our commercially overloaded marketplace. We may have had anxieties about being in crowds as a child, so crowds could simply represent anxiety. We can feel unhappy about being part of the herd; we may feel "lost in the crowd" and want to "stand out from the crowd.” Yes. It's an idiom from a culture that values individuality. Picture a crowd of people wearing grey suits. In their midst appears someone wearing a bullfighter's brightly colored costume. This person will surely 'stand out from the crowd.'

“Stand out” is a very prepossessing verb as well as protrude, prominent, outstanding, be distinguished, excel. Yes.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Best wishes,

Petra