Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
Sri Lanka
Current Location
Spain
Hello friends.

I need your help regarding the usage of grammar. Actually, I'm referring abt some past events to my friend. So I want to say : I thought of saying these things but could not have said due to time constrain or the sentence should be like this : I thought of saying these things but could not had said due to time constrain.

My question what would be correct grammar here : could not have or could had said. Pls tell me with the reason. My guess is there is nothing like could had, so first one is correct; but still want to confirm rather than doing grammatical mistakes. So pls help

Thanks

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello friends.

I need your help regarding the usage of grammar. Actually, I'm referring abt some past events to my friend. So I want to say : I thought of saying these things but could not have said due to time constrain or the sentence should be like this : I thought of saying these things but could not had said due to time constrain.

My question what would be correct grammar here : could not have or could had said. Pls tell me with the reason. My guess is there is nothing like could had, so first one is correct; but still want to confirm rather than doing grammatical mistakes. So pls help

Thanks
Hi razer,
Actually I can't see why you persist on using such an odd structure...If I get you right, your sentence should simply be put this way: I thought of saying these things but couldn't say anything,...Because your first Verb (thinking of...) is put in simple Past, and your second action (saying them...) is undone, so you needn't use that structure...But if you want to know where to use this form, this example may help: I was awfully angry because I could have told her everything, but I hadn't! Suppose today's Wednesday, and you regret why yesterday (Tusday) you hadn't told her everything on Monday! Cheers!

Soup

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Hi razer

In addition to Mehrgan's advice, here are more examples:

Ex:
I thought of saying those things but couldn't/wasn't able to because of time constraints.

Ex: I wanted to say more, but didn't have the time to say it.

Status
Not open for further replies.