• Current Location:
      • China

Are they same meaning?

1. I am thinking of you
    2. I am missing you

Re: Are they same meaning?

1. I am thinking of you
    2. I am missing you
    In the normal context where these sentences might appear, they are pretty close in meaning. If you're thinking of someone, you're probably missing them. If you're missing someone, you're probably thinking of them.

However, it is certainly possible to say I am thinking of you in a somewhat different context and with a somewhat different meaning:

"Hello, Detective Smith? Yeah, this is Tony 'Slice-and-Dice' Garbonzo...you remember me, don't you? I'm the mafia hitman you sent to prison 15 years ago. Well, I just thought you'd like to know I got out of the joint last week, and I am thinking of you. I'm thinking of that pretty wife of yours, too. I know where she works. I know where your daughter goes to school, too. You can't be too careful these days, you know what I'm saying?"

Greg

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Are they same meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by dragn View Post
    In the normal context where these sentences might appear, they are pretty close in meaning. If you're thinking of someone, you're probably missing them. If you're missing someone, you're probably thinking of them.

However, it is certainly possible to say I am thinking of you in a somewhat different context and with a somewhat different meaning:

"Hello, Detective Smith? Yeah, this is Tony 'Slice-and-Dice' Garbonzo...you remember me, don't you? I'm the mafia hitman you sent to prison 15 years ago. Well, I just thought you'd like to know I got out of the joint last week, and I am thinking of you. I'm thinking of that pretty wife of yours, too. I know where she works. I know where your daughter goes to school, too. You can't be too careful these days, you know what I'm saying?"

Greg
    Wow, Greg, I don't want you "thinking of me"! Great explanation of the difference, though.