• Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

put it another way/ slap/ flux condensator/never reach 1955-

Dear teachers,

Here are a few sentences from the article “Obama seeks to create high speed rail system across the US”. Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold?

“There’s not a single high-speed train running in the US today. Let me repeat that. There’s not a single high-speed train running in the US today. Sure, there’s the Acela Express. But, due to rail traffic and track conditions, it never hits speeds over half its 150 MPH potential. And in my view, if a train does not travel high speeds, it is not a high-speed train. To put it another way, if you slapped a flux capacitor on the Acela Express, you would never reach 1955no matter how much plutonium you had. “

put it that way = formulate in a particular style or language

put it another way = express it in a different way

slap = stick (to slap s.o’s face , stick up a note)

flux capacitor = a critical component of DeLorean time machine ( refer to the Film “Back to the future”)

never reach 1955-no matter how much plutonium you had = your experiment will come to nothing – Dr. Emmet Brown is unachievable (the operator accelerated the car to 88 miles per hour (142 km/h) which activated the flux capacitor)

plutonium = naturally radioactive, silvery, metallic transuranic element, occurring in uranium ores and produced artificially by neutron bombardment of uranium to generate the needed 1.21 gigawatts to power the flux capacitor.

Thank you for your efforts.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: put it another way/ slap/ flux condensator/never reach 1955-

Your interpretations are correct. Sometimes "slap" in that context can mean "affix" or "assemble."

"This apartment isn't so bad; just give it a good cleaning, slap some new paint on the walls and it will look quite nice."

"That looks like a pretty deep cut on your finger, do you want to go to the hospital?"
    "No, I'll just slap a bandage on it and it should be OK."