Attorney/proxy

I'd like to know how somebody who's been invested with power of attorney by somebody else is reffered to in common, everyday English. I know that the technical term would be "an attorney" but I fear that by using it I might cause a confusion with the other meaning of the term attorney - i.e., a lawyer. If, for instance, a relative is going to spend a year abroad or whatever and gives me limited power of attorney to act as his representative in financial matters with his bank (open/close accounts, sign cheques, make withdrawals, authorize payments, etc.) what would I be to his bank? His attorney? His proxy? Does the term proxy indicate that the person acting as a representative has legal right to do so or is it only used for people who represent someone informally? And now a secondary question on the same subject: what do you call the physical document that gives you power of attorney, as in the sentence "you will need copies of the ______ and of the account holder's ID" ?

Your help will be much appreciated.

Re: Attorney/proxy

Quote Originally Posted by Diadorim View Post
    I'd like to know how somebody who's been invested with power of attorney by somebody else is reffered to in common, everyday English. I know that the technical term would be "an attorney" but I fear that by using it I might cause a confusion with the other meaning of the term attorney - i.e., a lawyer. If, for instance, a relative is going to spend a year abroad or whatever and gives me limited power of attorney to act as his representative in financial matters with his bank (open/close accounts, sign cheques, make withdrawals, authorize payments, etc.) what would I be to his bank? His attorney? His proxy? Does the term proxy indicate that the person acting as a representative has legal right to do so or is it only used for people who represent someone informally? And now a secondary question on the same subject: what do you call the physical document that gives you power of attorney, as in the sentence "you will need copies of the ______ and of the account holder's ID" ?

Your help will be much appreciated.
    #1 There is no word for this. They possess "power of attorney" and thereby represent the interests of the person concerned. Proxy is about the best term. It is not a legal term, but a semantic one.

#2 "the Power of Attorney"