• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

What does it mean?

Hi, everyone
    There is a sentence puzzling me a lot. The sentence is: It's wondering what car you were driving last Friday night. What does it refer to? When people use the verb wonder,the subject is normally a person, isn't it?
    Please help me understand the structure of the sentence. Besides, I'd like to know if the following sentences are expressions native speakers of English accept or understand.
    (a) The Internet is a huge/great market.
    (b) The Internet market is up for grabs.
    (c) This is an counter-education example.
    (The above sentences are simple and short, but I don't know if they make sense in English. After all, English isn't my first language. That's why I ask about them.)
    Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by lisa666; 29-Apr-2009 at 05:49.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: What does it mean?

"It's wondering what car you were driving Friday night" would be correct in this context:

Sally, I can see you're troubled? What is it? Oh, I bet I know! It's wondering what car you were driving Friday night that's got you in such a tizzy! Don't worry. It wasn't the Volkswagen, so you can relax. It was still in the repair shop. Even though she says she saw you, she didn't see you driving the Volkswagen. Now, why don't you get Jeeves to pull the Rolls out for you and take a little drive back and forth in front of her window so she'll be sure to see you still have it. These "credit crunches" can be murder on your reputation!

Your other three short sentences also make sense, even without my having to make up a long story to justify them!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

Re: What does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by jlinger View Post
    "It's wondering what car you were driving Friday night" would be correct in this context:

Sally, I can see you're troubled? What is it? Oh, I bet I know! It's wondering what car you were driving Friday night that's got you in such a tizzy! Don't worry. It wasn't the Volkswagen, so you can relax. It was still in the repair shop. Even though she says she saw you, she didn't see you driving the Volkswagen. Now, why don't you get Jeeves to pull the Rolls out for you and take a little drive back and forth in front of her window so she'll be sure to see you still have it. These "credit crunches" can be murder on your reputation!

Your other three short sentences also make sense, even without my having to make up a long story to justify them!
    Hi, jlinger
    It's kind of you to help me. Right now, I'm trying to figure out the context.
    Frankly, I don't really understand where "it's wondering" comes from in the sentence. I'll think hard. Thank you very much.