• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

replies given by non-native speakers

Hi Moderators

I notice my recent questions were answered by non-native speakers. I would appreciate it very much if native speakers or moderators answer the questions posed by me and other members.

I hope my request is acceded to.

Re: replies given by non-native speakers

Hi, Tam.

Many non-native speakers may have a deeper understanding of fine grammatical points than native speakers. Unless their answers are completely wrong and uninformative, this being an open forum allows them to respond.

I suggest that you report any answers that you are not happy with.

I must admit, whilst I avoid all your threads, I chose to read this one, anticipating yet one more complaint of dissatisfaction, this time with the efforts to help by non-native speakers.

As one native speaker in this forum, I appreciate a collaborative approach to learning, and usually happy to keep at it until the person tells me that they "clearly understand".

My initial experience with responding to your threads was to find you haughty, argumentative, and dismissive when other native speakers and I tried to help. I tentatively looked in on a few subsequent threads, to witness other posters suffering an even worse fate at times.

I prefer to engage in a pleasant dialogue during the learning process, and I'm not here to give of my free time so that the sole satisfaction is some validation that I have a thick skin.
    Last edited by David L.; 29-Apr-2009 at 01:10.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post
    My initial experience with responding to your threads was to find you haughty, argumentative, and dismissive when other native speakers and I tried to help. I tentatively looked in on a few subsequent threads, to witness other posters suffering an even worse fate at times.

I prefer to engage in a pleasant dialogue during the learning process, and I'm not here to give of my free time so that the sole satisfaction is some validation that I have a thick skin.
    I don't think Anglika would agree with what you said. She has replied to my threads every now and then, and I have never failed to thank her.

I don't know how you form such negative impressions of me. Maybe you could elaborate?

I always thank those who help me (non-native speakers included) when their replies are correct or logical to me. If the answers provided by non-natives are not on the right track, I hope moderators or native speaker members (teachers and non-teacher included) could help me. I don't tell the non-natives that I disagree with their answers, but I would just ask native speakers/moderators to confirm.

Am I doing the wrong thing?

Btw, I have been with this forum for years and it is only recently that I found that moderators and native speakers are not active. If I had been haughty, etc, as asserted by David, I think my negative traits would have been discovered a long time ago, not recently.

Having said that, I appeal to the native speakers to please help non-native speakers, including me.
    Last edited by Tan Elaine; 29-Apr-2009 at 18:09.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Hi, Tam.

Many non-native speakers may have a deeper understanding of fine grammatical points than native speakers. Unless their answers are completely wrong and uninformative, this being an open forum allows them to respond.

I suggest that you report any answers that you are not happy with.
    Thanks, Anglika. While I agree with what you said, there are some non-native speakers who provide answers which I find not logical or acceptable.

I would, after reading their replies, post on the same thread, asking native speakers to confirm whether the answers are correct. Maybe that is the wrong way. Could you please let me know what the correct way is?

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Tan Elaine; 29-Apr-2009 at 18:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    I suggest that you report
    Hello Anglika,

In my country, the word report has very strong negative connotations. The so-called informers were supporters of the totalitarian communist regime in my country whom the communist secret agency comissioned to spy on famous people. These stool pigeons reported to the authorities anything that they thought was a threat to the political sytem. That time, anybody with a sense of what is good deemed what they did inappropriate, and later, many who had previously feared to put their head above the parapet condemned their acts officially too, as a result of which by now these finks are excluded from polite society, to put it very mildly.
    Somehow your report has such negative associations for me as described above.
    As regards comments meant to help the others, an idiom came up in me:

Cambridge Dictionaries Online - Cambridge University Press

I hope my comments did not arouse bad feelings in you, as it would be the last thing I would want to achieve.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    Having said that, I appeal to the native speakers to please help non-native speakers, including me.
    I echo that. I'm afraid people may have been taking offence because of cultural misunderstandings - like svartnik's problem with 'report', which can be entirely value-free in British English, and was so in Anglika's usage - so I hope David doesn't elaborate; his resentment has been stewing for months if not years, so I'm afraid the ensuing discussion would fast descend into a slanging match. The forums are surely big enough for TE and DL just to avoid each other. There's really no point in starting a flame-war in a thread whose original post didn't raise any contentious issue.

b

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Elaine View Post
    Btw, I have been with this forum for years and it is only recently that I found that moderators and native speakers are not active...
    I don't think native-speakers have been markedly less active. But certainly, over that period, the proportion of native-speakers of English in the world has diminished in relation to the number of users of English as a second or third language. If membership of UsingEnglish reflects that, the proportion of responses from native-speakers may have diminished. And I'm certainly not going to say 'It's my language and you guys are doing it wrong'; Nor am I going to increase my efforts to make up for the changed demographics - we need all the help we can get.

b

In the two years or so I've been a contributor, I've never seen so many active native speakers contributing as over the last couple of months! Just look at the number of names appearing for that period. So much so - and only with the slightest hyperbole - that it seemed as if we had more native speakers ready to help than questions being asked.

BobK: one mustn't confuse a statistical 'population' - in this case, the totality of what's happening in the world - with any statistical "sample" of the world to be found in this forum: those members of that 'population' who actually enter this forum are not chosen at random or by some stratified sampling technique.
    Last edited by David L.; 29-Apr-2009 at 12:34.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by David L. View Post

BobK: one mustn't confuse a statistical 'population' - in this case, the totality of what's happening in the world - with any statistical "sample" of the world to be found in this forum: those members of that 'population' who actually enter this forum are not chosen at random or by some stratified sampling technique.
    I said 'if UE membership reflects that' - not 'since UE membership can be positively correlated with that'.

b

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast