• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

though and but

Dear teachers:
    I got a sentence from COCA:
    Though I would prefer you to look hot, but that's okay.
    , where both though and but appear.
    Is it good English? Did the speaker want to emphasize it? Can we imitate it?
    Thank you very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

Re: though and but

It's not very good English. I would take out the word "Though." Alternatively, you could probably take out the word "but" and have it make sense, but it would sound funny.

Though it might depend on the context. Is this sentence following a train of thought? If so, could you post the full text?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by redbmk View Post

It's not very good English. I would take out the word "Though." Alternatively, you could probably take out the word "but" and have it make sense, but it would sound funny.

Though it might depend on the context. Is this sentence following a train of thought? If so, could you post the full text?
    Thank you, redbmk.
    It is:
    be a bust, which would prove to him that she still had a long way to go when it came to picking new talent. // " And you have it, " Jenna said. " Don't sweat. Tonight is going to be just fine. You've been to a million of these things before. And look at you. " Jenna grabbed Avery by the hand and twirled her around. " You look classy as always. " // Avery was wearing a tapered black Chanel pantsuit and peep-toe Jimmy Choo pumps. " Though I would prefer you to look hot, but that's okay. One of these days, I'm going to get my hands on you and take you down to the Dominic Sabatini Salon for a complete makeover from head to toe. " She disliked Avery's bangs and long hair, which was in a perfectly coiffed bun. // Unlike Jenna, who was a talent scout for the Tate Agency where appearance was crucial, Avery didn't need to look sexy. " I need to look competent and knowledgeable so

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

A sentence by Quirk:

As the strength of the defenders failed, so the courage of the attackers
    grew.