• Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

either A or A

Hello, teachers.
    Would you please explain the meaning of the last sentence in the following passage?
    ----------
    Within four years I was part of the inner sanctum. "Your magazine is so mind-blowingly anodyne, it's a perfect fit with our music," Mick said. "Here's the deal. You pay all your own costs and continue not to rock the boat of Rolling Stones Plc and we'll treat you like shit."
    It wasn't easy dealing with the band's egos. Mick would either ignore me or ignore me, while Keith was either stoned or stoned, but I understood the deal.
    ----------
    Does "Mick would either ignore me or ignore me" means "he would do nothing but ignore me"? Also, do you know any book(s) by which I can learn this kind of rethorical English? I always appreciate your help very much.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: either A or A

It is a rhetorical device and you have interpretted it correctly. It is the same as saying he would always ignore me, and was always stoned.

There is a very funny visual scene with Barbra Streisand in Hello Dolly where she tells Walter Matthau she is not interested in following him. But she swings her left arm around and points, saying "you go your way!" and then she swings her right arm but ends up pointng in the same direction, "...and I'll go my way!"