• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Smile Can you please come up with a common expression in the blank? I need your help.

Hi, teachers. I'm not a native but I teach English in my country. Actually, I'm more like a learner. Sometiems I have trouble using English in classroom. Besides, I don't want my students to be exposed by broken English. That's why I'd like to learn more about popular classroom languages among English teachers in the U.S. or other English sepaking countries.

So can you please come up with the natural expression in the blank for me? I have two expressions in my mind but I'm not sure which one is better. If you find any awkward expressions or mistakes, please correct for me.
    Thanks a million in advance. I hope every teacher has a nice day.

T:Eugene, Eugene.. are you listening to me? I’m waiting for an answer,
    Eugene:Huh?
    T:Huh was not the answer I was looking for.
    Eugene: Oh, sorry. I was thinking of something. What was the question again?
    T: You’re on number 6.
    Eugene: Umm…I’m sorry. I have no idea about it.
    T: Where is your mind? Eugene? You’re so distracted today. Is there problem with you?
    Eugene: Well, nothing.
    T: ( )1. Then pay attention to class, please. O.K.? / 2. Try to focus on class, O.K.?)
    Last edited by Eureka; 29-Apr-2009 at 07:54.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: Can you please come up with a common expression in the blank? I need your help.

Hi Eureka

It looks good. Try in class, not on class:

1. Then pay attention in class, please. O.K.?
    2. Try to focus in class, O.K.?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Can you please come up with a common expression in the blank? I need your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
    Hi, teachers. I'm not a native but I teach English in my country. Actually, I'm more like a learner. Sometiems I have trouble using English in classroom. Besides, I don't want my students to be exposed by broken English. That's why I'd like to learn more about popular classroom languages among English teachers in the U.S. or other English sepaking countries.

So can you please come up with the natural expression in the blank for me? I have two expressions in my mind but I'm not sure which one is better. If you find any awkward expressions or mistakes, please correct for me.
    Thanks a million in advance. I hope every teacher has a nice day.

T:Eugene, Eugene.. are you listening to me? I’m waiting for an answer,
    Eugene:Huh?
    T:Huh was not the answer I was looking for.
    Eugene: Oh, sorry. I was thinking of something. What was the question again?
    T: You’re on number 6.
    Eugene: Umm…I’m sorry. I have no idea about it.
    T: Where is your mind? Eugene? You’re so distracted today. Is there problem with you?
    Eugene: Well, nothing.
    T: ( )1. Then pay attention to class, please. O.K.? / 2. Try to focus on class, O.K.?)
    Hi Eureka,

In a classroom situation such as your example dialogue describes, you might also want to consider redirecting such a student's attention back to the task at hand by using positive motivators. -The reason? When a teacher attempts to redirect a student's attention by singling him or her out with questions such as those highlighted above in red, the student is likely to feel put on the spot, resulting in embarrassment. And though fear of further embarrassment may be a motivator to stay on task, some students are apt to resent such a confrontation in front of their peers, and this may lead to later classroom behavior that is non-cooperative.

Granted, there are times that demand a student be "called to task." Nonetheless, a teacher should first try to motivate students with encouraging words. The general rule of thumb is to strive for an 8 to 1 ratio; that is, eight positive motivators for every negative one given.

One method that I have seen used with great success in the classroom is to hand out tickets to students who are able to come to the assistance of others in need of redirection. Thus, instead of scolding a student for being off-task, the teacher, after giving this student ample time to respond, simply asks: "Is there anyone who can help out Eugene here?" Students then know that if they are able to give a correct answer for another student such as Eugene, they will win a ticket. (You can get rolls of tickets for little cost.) Upon receiving a ticket, students then sign them (thus designating it as theirs alone) and collect them for later classroom privileges or prizes.

By doing this you are setting up the example of "catching students doing good" rather than bad. And with such a system in place in the classroom, students now understand that they will \be rewarded for their best efforts. It won't take long for a student such as Eugene to figure out for himself that in order to be included among those who are rewarded for their efforts, he needs to keep his focus.

This is just one method among several that you might consider using. Browse through the following list of links for more.

- All the best
    Last edited by Monticello; 30-Apr-2009 at 23:04.