• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

peace of bread / bidding/ defied

Dear teachers,

Here are a few sentences from different English texts. Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold?

Now after the piece of bread, Satan entered him. Then Jesus said to him, "What you do, do quickly."

peace of bread = bite, bit, mouthful (I haven’t had a bite all day.)

We find Judas at this time in perfect union with Satan to do the Devil's bidding to betray Christ, something that is not very pleasant to consider.

bidding = appeal

North Korea defied the United States, China and a series of United Nations resolutions by launching a rocket on Sunday that the country said was designed to propel a satellite into space, but that much of the world viewed as an effort to prove it is edging toward the capability to shoot a nuclear warhead on a longer-range missile.

defy = to refuse to submit to or cooperate with, disregard, ignore, overlook

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V

Re: peace of bread / bidding/ defied

#1 mFull context is so important. >> Jesus therefore answered, "It is he to whom I will give this piece of bread when I have dipped it." So when he had dipped the piece of bread, he gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot. After the piece of bread, then Satan entered into him. "

What is the relevance of your question about "bidding"?

#2 Here it is an act of deliberate refusal to cooperate with the international decision.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi Anglika,

Thank you for your felicitous reply.

In my humble opinion there is an undeniable relevance to my well-found doubts concerning the authenticity of the term “bidding.”

For all that there is a wide choice of more pleasing to God words:

bid = ask, call, charge, command, desire, direct, greet, instruct, invite, offer, proclaim, propose, request, require, say, solicit, summon, tell, wish

bidding = an authoritative indication to be obeyed / a request to appear; a summons / bidding auction / announcement / promulgation/ proclamation / declaration/ advertisement

Regards,

V.

In the context of Satan bidding someone to do something, it could be synonymously "suggesting they do something" or "instructing someone to do something".