tenses

Please would someone help me with the use of tenses in the following passage. I would appreciate correction of false tenses used and an explanation why an other tense should have been used.

The students have attended (to attend) this commercial school for three years. The school they had to (have to) go to before was (to be) situated in Wernberg. The mother of one of the pupils asked (to ask) the teachers this week, whether she would be allowed (to be allowed) to come to a lesson next week, to see what the pupils had (to have) to learn. This year Peter has not been (to be/not) successful at school, because he hadn't learned (to learn/not) enough, as he only had been (to be) interested in hockey and sports. From now on he will try (to try) hard to get better marks.

Many thanks

Re: tenses

Firstly, there is questionable wording in the passage itself:
    as he only had been interested
    ...in this sentence, would be better phrased as:
    "...as he had only been interested..."

You're choice of verb forms seems perfect...
    Let me just pick this out and let's see what others think:
    "...to come to a lesson next week, to see what the pupils had (to have) to learn."

'had' or 'have'?
    Non-native speakers : careful!
    Last edited by David L.; 30-Apr-2009 at 22:32.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

Cool Re: tenses

Quote Originally Posted by raffles View Post
    Please would someone help me with the use of tenses in the following passage. I would appreciate correction of false tenses used and an explanation why an other tense should have been used.

The students have attended (to attend) this commercial school for three years. The school they had to (have to) go to before was (to be) situated in Wernberg. The mother of one of the pupils asked (to ask) the teachers this week, whether she would be allowed (to be allowed) to come to a lesson next week, to see what the pupils had (to have) to learn. This year Peter has not been (to be/not) successful at school, because he hadn't learned (to learn/not) enough, as he only had been (to be) interested in hockey and sports. From now on he will try (to try) hard to get better marks.

Many thanks
    The students have attended (to attend) this commercial school for three years. The school they had to (have to) go to before was (to be) situated in Wernberg. The mother of one of the pupils has asked (to ask) the teachers this week, whether she will be allowed (to be allowed) to come to a lesson next week, to see what the pupils have (to have) to learn. This year Peter has not been (to be/not) successful at school, because he isn't learning (to learn/not) enough, as he is only (to be) interested in hockey and sports. From now on he will try (to try) hard to get better marks.