Question David syndrome or David's syndrome ?

Hi, I have this problem. On this page
    'David syndrome' causes desire to destroy art

they are using the form of David syndrome. But I think it is 1 David so it should be David's syndrome. Am I wrong?

For example. Let's say...

a) I live with John syndrome for 2 years.
    b) I live with John's syndrome for 2 years.

What do you think?
    My personal opinion is that the 2nd version b) is correct, but I am not native english speaker so I appreciate any advice from native english speakers.

And why are they using in the article in link above david instead of david's syndrome.

Thanks for any help.

--

e.g. here http://www.doctorslounge.com/studlou.../syndromes.htm

there is
    LERICHE'S SYNDROME
    BEHCET'S SYNDROME
    TAKAYASU'S SYNDROME
    ASHERMAN'S SYNDROME

and on the other side stands this groupMARFAN SYNDROME
    WILSON SYNDROME
    KORSAKOFF SYNDROME
    MUNCHAUSEN SYNDROME
    Last edited by thx0110; 29-Apr-2009 at 13:14. Reason: adding some addintional info

Re: David syndrome or David's syndrome ?

In this instance the syndrome derives from the name of an artwork that was badly damaged in an attack, not the "discoverer" of a syndrome, so it does not need a possessive. It is essentially descriptive of the syndrome but does require some knowledge of origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    In this instance the syndrome derives from the name of an artwork that was badly damaged in an attack, not the "discoverer" of a syndrome, so it does not need a possessive. It is essentially descriptive of the syndrome but does require some knowledge of origin.
    thank you Angelika. So is it correct to use this form:

I live with John's/Eve's/Maria's syndrome for two years.

? When I told my friend James, that he has Peter's syndrome. And what I mean with this sentence is his behaviour. What was doing/what is famous for our friend Peter e.g. playing games on wii all day long and eating pizza :).

?How can I say the same about James to e.g. Samantha?

Samatha you have the
    a)James syndrome
    b)James's syndrome
    c)James' syndrome

What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

I think you have slightly misunderstood.

A syndrome with a possessive is generally named after the person who identified the nature and characteristics of that syndrome: Reynier's Syndrome; Crohn's Syndrome. Correctly there should always be the possessive in the medical term. The exception I can think of is Guillaune-Barre Syndrome, named after two doctors.

"David Syndrome" is a term coined to express the nature of a form of antisocial behaviour in which a person attacks an artwork for no apparent reason. Other examples are the cases of acid thrown at paintings, paintings slashed, and artworks defaced in other ways. The Michaelangelo statue is so internationally recognised that it is the one chosen to identify this form of behaviour.

OK, you are right about the multi-names syndromes. However, what about this "one name" syndromes like:
    WILSON SYNDROME
    KORSAKOFF SYNDROME
    MUNCHAUSEN SYNDROME

Why are they written without 's and not like this:
    Wilson's syndrome, Korsakoff's syndrom.

I found this http://alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/438 , and I am a little confused now. They use the form of Korsakoff's syndrome. Than I found out that it is not korsakoff syndrome but the full name is Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. more about thi here http://www.minddisorders.com/Py-Z/We...-syndrome.html

Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome
    Last edited by thx0110; 29-Apr-2009 at 13:52.

Munchhausen Syndrome is of course named after the fictional character Baron Munchhausen, and I have seen it used with and without a possessive.

Korsakoff - is properly Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome

Wilson's Temperature Syndrome [if related to thyroid disfunction] needs the possessive. There is another Syndrome: Mowat-Wilson Syndrome, which is a genetic disorder.

taken from wikipedia:
    "
    In Münchausen syndrome, the affected person exaggerates or creates symptoms of illnesses in themselves or their child/children in order to gain investigation, treatment, attention, sympathy, and comfort from medical personnel. In some extremes, people suffering from Münchausen's Syndrome are highly knowledgeable about the practice of medicine, and are able to produce symptoms that result in multiple unnecessary operations.

"

- Why in the 1st sentance stands Munchausen syndrome and in the 2nd there is Münchausen's Syndrome.

Which form is correct? Munchausen syndrome or Munchausen's syndrome?

Both though without the possessive holds a margin in my view. It is a typical problem facing journalists, who are never quite sure. Wikipedia is not always correct, and can always be changed.

Thumbs up Re: David syndrome or David's syndrome ?

Ok, thank you a lot for your time. Now I see it much clearly.