Boundary and Frontier

How to use two words right ? "Boundary" and "Frontier".
    They have same meaning, that "a line that separates two countries or two things".
    Please help me distinguish them ! Thanks !

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Boundary and Frontier

Quote Originally Posted by l2v View Post
    How to use two words right ? "Boundary" and "Frontier".
    They have same meaning, that "a line that separates two countries or two things".
    Please help me distinguish them ! Thanks !
    Dear 12v:

The two words do have the meaning you quote, but they have other uses as well, which give them different connotations.

A boundary marks the limit of an area. 'We walked as far as the boundary line,' 'The park boundaries are clearly shown on this map.'

The word 'border' is also used (perhaps even more commonly) to denote political divisions. 'The border towns of Texas and New Mexico...', He is a member of the Border Patrol,' 'The Friendship Bridge spans the river that forms the border between the two countries.'

'Frontier', although it too marks a limit of a kind, has a strong connotation of looking outward from the frontier, because a frontier can move as circumstances change. 'Every decade of pioneer settlement saw the frontier move farther west.' 'Frontier' is also used figuratively: 'The frontiers of science (or any other field of research) were expanded by new discoveries.'

Dictionary.com has a good comparison of 'boundary' and 'frontier'.

I hope this is helpful,

Petra