1. Unregistered

Red face how

i think when i speak in my own i am pretty good at speaking english
    but in english class i cannot,totoally i am shy to express my own idea and somtimes i have gramer mistake that is far too much for me causing evade from speaking
    i do know what recommanation is going to be useful
    regarded my personality problem and grammer mistake that i have which advice you can give me,sory if i just have eaten your head.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: how

Having taught close to a thousand students of English over the past 20 years, my advice to you is to speak as much as you can in class, without caring about who is judging your grammar. You need to find out what your errors are and how to correct them, and the only way to do that is to speak the language for others to hear you and be able to provide you with corrections. Errors are good; recognizing them is the first step in learning how to improve your ability.

My best students, those who succeeded in becoming native like speakers of English, had the worst, and I mean the worst grammar--at times I could barely even understand what it was they were trying to expresses. I didn't care about that, however, because I know that making errors is a stage of learning. Teachers expect it. They need to know their students' weak points; otherwise, they can't help them improve.

If you want to know "how to" do something and be able to do it well, you have to practice. The more mistakes you make, the more likley you will be corrected and given the correct forms. If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning. It's as simple as that.

You need to speak English no matter how embarrassed you may feel about what you sound like or what people think about you when you speak. Feel comfort in the knowledge that millions of people before you have been where you are now and they succeeded in over coming their fears. You, too, can do it. Now is a good time to start!

Soup, I have read your response to the user and I understand the solutions you have suggested. It'll help me too; I sometimes too find hard expressing myself. And, sometimes even don't speak from the fear of being joked at, but I won't do that now that wasn't right. :)

My best students, those who succeeded in becoming native like speakers of English, had the worst, and I mean the worst grammar--at times I could barely even understand what it was they were trying to expresses.
    If I was writing this, I would have written the bold text as "trying to express", for the reason that I had always assumed that it's a rule that one can't add 's' or 'es' at the end of a word which follows the preposition 'to'. What is the actual rule in such case please?

P.S. Please correct me if I made some mistake in my post.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by Science Nerd View Post
    ;
    If I was writing this, I would have written the bold text as "trying to express", ...
    In looking back, me too. It's a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    In looking back, me too. It's a typo.
    Oh, I see. OK.