• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

shortlisted/roster/pulled up/checked-out/security deposit/contrarian/stood me in good

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold from the following five sentences?

1. “You have not been shortlisted for this particular job.”

shortlist (v) = to include (a candidate for a job, for example) on a shortlist.
    shortlist (n) = a list of preferable items or candidates that have been selected for final consideration, as in making an award or filling a position.

2. “Of a major league's team roster of 25, usually 11-12 are pitchers.”

roster = roll, register, list

3. “We pulled up to the airport and I still had plenty of time to board the plane.“

pull up = stop

4. “I hadn’t even checked-out yet and needed to get my security deposit back from the front desk still.”

check out = record one's departure from a hotel by paying the bill

security deposit = money paid in advance to protect the provider of a product or service against damage or nonpayment by the buyer; money that you give to the hotel in case you damage the room in any way. You get this money back if you don’t damage anything during your stay.

5. I'm sometimes a contrarian - and you know...

It's always stood me in good stead.

contrarian = one who takes a contrary view or action, especially an investor who makes
    decisions that contradict prevailing wisdom, as in buying securities that are unpopular at the time.

to stand someone in good stead = be of service to someone

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Re: shortlisted/roster/pulled up/checked-out/security deposit/contrarian/stood me in

3. "He pulled up at a service station for petrol." =stopped at
    “We pulled up to the airport and I still had plenty of time to board the plane.“ = drove the last short distance and stopped.

security deposit = money paid in advance to protect the provider of a product or service against damage or nonpayment by the buyer; money that you give to the hotel in case you damage the room in any way. You get this money back if you don’t damage anything during your stay.

That's old fashioned with regard to hotels - they take a record of your credit card, and this blank copy is given back at the end of your stay. Otherwise, it would be put through to your credit card for the amount of damage, what's owing for the minibar etc.
    You still pay a security deposit when you rent/lease a property.
    Last edited by David L.; 06-May-2009 at 11:26.