• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: how does englishman actually say 3x4 = 12

Well, no, I believe most Englishmen would usually say "three fours are twelve."

You are generalizing for an entire nation?

As given by the OP 3 x 4 = 12 >> three times four equals twelve.
    Last edited by Anglika; 06-May-2009 at 19:53.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Some aspects of the English language apply to the majority English people, so I feel I was not guilty of "generalizing". My mother is English, and my maths teachers in Europe were all English, and most of them, most of the time, would say "three fours are twelve" rather than the more American-sounding "three times four is twelve." I thought from the wording of the OP's question that he was after that peculiarly English usage. I apologize if I have offended you. My intention was not to denigrate or belittle the English people.

I do not take offence, but feel you did not directly answer the question and introduced a side issue.

Despite all the many connections I have internationally, I am inhibited about answering for what an American, Australian, Canadian or New Zealander might say in this circumstance, so prefer to let them answer this kind of question.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Hello, let's be friendly here. I respect your stated preference, but I'd like to be able to have mine as well. I prefer to answer whenever I feel I can be helpful to the learner. I didn't realize I was opening myself up to censure.

If the OP had written "How do you say 3 x 4 = 12 in English?" I would have agreed with Svartnik. But the use of "actually" and "Englishman" led me to suspect he or she had heard, but could not remember, a form that belonged to England in particular, rather than the English-speaking world in general. I thought I might be helping him or her by recalling the usage I wrote. That was my motivation and my line of reasoning. I did not think I was being indirect, or was introducing anything irrelevant such as a side issue.

As to being unqualified to answer questions about BE, I feel happy enough with an English mum, a British passport and the "one English leg" she says I have, to feel I can be of assistance with many types of questions regarding British English, as well as American English, which I habitually use orally. I tend to write British English, as many Canadians do.... Robertson Davies for instance.

Anyhow, I hope this clears up what my line of thinking was, in case there is some further doubt about my motives or abilities. Have a great day all.