please help me (confusing grammar problems) xxx

dear teachers,

i have a few of questions, please help me. :)

what's the difference between A,B and C? how can i know which one should be used?

1)

if necessary, here's the context.: john set the rules but mary broke it and then john said to her "_______"

A. i already told you not to bring any pets here.

B. i have (already) told you not to bring any pets here.

C. i had told you not to bring any pets here.

2)

if necessary, here's the context.: father had retired many years ago and one day he had vocation with his sun and said "______" to him.

A. i had worked whole my life and had never thought i would spend holidays in italy.

B. i worked whole my life and never thought i would spend holidays in italy.

here's also a little confusion, sorry. which one i should use in this context and why?

i) i worked whole my life and never thought i would spend holidays in italy.

ii) i worked whole my life and never thought i would be spending holidays in italy.

iii) i worked whole my life and never thought i would have spent holidays in italy.

iiii) can i change all the "would"s into "could"s in these sentence?

many thanks

xxx

Re: please help me (confusing grammar problems) xxx

Quote Originally Posted by dafunkygirl View Post
    dear teachers,

what's the difference between A,B and C? how can i know which one should be used?

1)

if necessary, here's the context.: john set the rules but mary broke it and then john said to her "_______"

2)

if necessary, here's the context.: father had retired many years ago and one day he had vocation with his sun and said "______" to him.

A. i had worked whole my life and had never thought i would spend holidays in italy.

here's also a little confusion, sorry. which one i should use in this context and why?

ii) i worked whole my life and never thought i would be spending holidays in italy.

iii) i worked whole my life and never thought i would have spent holidays in italy.

iiii) can i change all the "would"s into "could"s in these sentence?

many thanks

xxx
    i really need your help. :)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

I'm not a teacher but I'll try (if I'm wrong I hope somebody will correct me).

Quote Originally Posted by dafunkygirl View Post
    dear teachers,

1)

The asnswer B (Present Perfect) is wrong here because he had told her (the rule) not to bring any pets before she broke that rule. The A is Past Simple and it is quite affordable here in my opinion. The answer C (Past Perfect) - Mary broke the rule that had been set (established) by John.
    But let's imagine that the situation is happening now then the monologue should be like this: you have broken the rule I told you about (some time in the past).

2)

I would say: I've worked all (whole) my life and have never thought that I would (could\may\migth) spend my holidays in Italy.

iii) i worked whole my life and never thought i would have spent holidays in italy. but

iiii) can i change all the "would"s into "could"s in these sentence? Yes

many thanks

xxx
    I hope this help. Anyway I believe that someone will reply.
    Last edited by greegorush; 07-May-2009 at 13:56.

thanks greegorush but i still don't think i have understood it.

anyone else, guys?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Hey experts! Is something wrong with this thread? Why don't you want to help us? I think this is a good question and I'll (we'll) be glad if you make it clear for us.

Thanks!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

I'm not a teacher either so please correct me if it's wrong.

As for the first sentence, I think that is kinda a reported speech. so it's rules should be applied to it and therefore I think the answer would be C. But that's just my own opinion.