Student or Learner

The use of ''Used to''

Hello, could anyone help me analyse the use of the expression ''used to'' to tell the history below?

History that happened in the past.

'' Jorge used to arrive around 10hs, when he used to start his "tour" around the area to find out where to start.Invariably he used to opt for the 8 bathrooms, which use to need special attention to remain always clean and in perfect operation.''

My question is: Do I have to repeat ''used to'' in all the sentences that expresses this past continuos time? Or can I write the history like that without changing the meaning.

''Jorge used to arrive around 10hs, when he started his "tour" around the area to find out where to start.Invariably he used to opt for the 8 bathrooms, which needed special attention to remain always clean and in perfect operation.

Re: The use of ''Used to''

''used to'' in all the sentences that expresses this past continuos time?

"used to + verb" expresses habitual past behaviour, but is not Past Continuous tense.

Invariably he used to opt for the 8 bathrooms, which needed special attention to remain always clean and in perfect operation.

This clearly states that it was his habit to do the bathrooms first because they needed more cleaning.

If...if... you included the second 'used to' :
    Invariably he used to opt for the 8 bathrooms, which used to need special attention to remain always clean and in perfect operation.

...then you are saying, (1) it was his habit/habitual behaviour to clean the bathrooms first, because (2) the bathrooms THEN, IN THOSE DAYS, used to need special attention, compared with NOW, where bathrooms are much easier to clean.

Student or Learner

Oh, thank you very much!

This histories that happened in the past are always difficult for me to translate or find the wright verb tense, because my native language has a past tense that does not exist in english.

I still have questions about the use of ''used to'', but I don`t want to be anoying, so I will be glad if other students send their questions about the issue.

I will read this forum periodically.

Thank you David for the attencion.

I still have questions about the use of ''used to'',

Go right ahead - ask them. Others will read the responses and be interested too.