Question writing a test about animal sounds

Hi,

1. I want to write a test about animal sounds and was wondering if I could use the verbs 'go' and 'say' in the following contexts.
    The students guess the animal by the sound it makes, and the crossword clues read:
    I go MOO-MOO!
    I say BAA-BAA!

2. Also, in a quiz about Christmas I used 'tree decorations' instead of 'Christmas tree decorations', but I think that the context (Christmas) made it clear that the 'tree' was a Christmas tree, right?

3. Is the following correct:
    What's so special about this animal?

Thank you,
    dreamer2009

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: writing a test about animal sounds

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer2009 View Post
    Hi,

1. I want to write a test about animal sounds and was wondering if I could use the verbs 'go' and 'say' in the following contexts.
    The students guess the animal by the sound it makes, and the crossword clues read:
    I go MOO-MOO!
    I say BAA-BAA!
    ('I say X' is a little more childish-sounding.)

2. Also, in a quiz about Christmas I used 'tree decorations' instead of 'Christmas tree decorations', but I think that the context (Christmas) made it clear that the 'tree' was a Christmas tree, right?

3. Is the following correct:
    What's so special about this animal?

Thank you,
    dreamer2009
    In no. 3, what's the 'so' doing? If you're just asking about the difference, then 'What's special about this animal?' is fine. Including the 'so' suggests that someone has said the animal should get special treatment: I don't see why he should have fresh straw every hour, when the others have to make do with theirs for a day. What's so special about him?

b

HI,
    thanks for your prompt reply.
    In:
    'What's so special about this animal?'
    the animal is a parrot that can speak both English and Spanish (in a joke I found on the Internet - I had to reword the joke).The children visiting the zoo are amazed at his speaking abilities
    So I gather I was right using 'so' in this context - our bird is a higly trained one...
    Talking of zoos, why is it that some write it 'Zoo' when the dictionaries give it as 'zoo'?

Thanks again,
    dreamer2009

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

The assigning of capital initials - although there are rules that most users of Standard English follow - can be fairly arbitrary. Several hundred years ago, when the idea of a standard way of capitalizing and punctuating was beginning to catch on, many English writers adopted the (present-day) German practice of capitalizing all nouns.

Today, there is an apparently straightforward rule: lower-case for common nouns except when starting a sentence, and initial capital for proper nouns. In practice, though, people's idea of common/proper can differ. Generally though, a particular zoo is called, for example 'London Zoo'.

b