• Post Thanks / Like

I have two questions about this verse in red.

Q1: Should I read this one as, “(Sounds of laughter) ( shades of earth) (are ringing hrough my open views inviting and inciting me)” Or “(Sounds of laughter shades of earth) (are ringing through my open views inviting and inciting me)”?

Q2: Then what does “shades” mean here? I could not figure it out! Could you make this one clear for me? Many thanks!

Across the Universe - the Beatles. Full lyrics link, The Beatles - Across The Universe Lyrics
    The verse below is the third one.

Sounds of laughter shades of earth are ringing
    Through my open views inviting and inciting me
    Limitless undying love which shines around me like a
    million suns, it calls me on and on
    Across the universe

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: shades

Sounds of laughter and shades of earth are ringing.
    We refer to laughter poetically as 'ringing out', like bells. The actual meaning of this, if restructured less poetically, is either:
    (1): 'laughter' being just one happy memory/shadow of what he is leaving behind - the shades of earth (shadowy memories of what it was like back there on 'earth') - because later he writes, "it calls me on and on across the universe" implies that he has left 'earth' behind him).
    (2) 'laughter' here refers to the scoffing reaction of others to what he is experiencing and doing. (see later)**

Understand, this is not planet Earth, but 'earth' = the ordinary, the parochial, the mundane, the spiritless, the sense of being confined, compared with 'the expansiveness of everything' represented by the word 'universe'.
    Through my open views - (this could be referring to his eyes, ears, every part of oneself that is receptive to and able to perceive 'what is out there beyond the limits of life as he has known it'; or more fundamentally, to 'expanded consciousness') - , inviting and inciting me, is
    ( I see/perceive/am aware of through my 'open views') Limitless undying love, which shines around me like a million suns.
    It calls me on and on across the universe.

**Oh, dear. Is this John meets Yoko time?
    If so, the derisive 'laughter' could have been mine, and that of a few others, that John was aware of when he wrote this, what with the maharishi and then Yoko Ono's influence. Celebrities complain about invasion of privacy. Instead, John and Yoko invite the press into their bedroom. What next: witness how much they love each other by observing copulation? Some boundary between public and private has dissolved.
    To be a wet blanket/add a note of sanity, and editorialise: wars are fought for freedom and self-determination, separateness; teenagers rebel to be allowed to be 'me', separate human beings. That's called 'individuation'. Yet how readily some people, actually, physically, walk into the ocean - or do the equivalent mentally: to 'blend, be as one with, the Universe'.
    Last edited by David L.; 08-May-2009 at 13:02.