1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

What "sensitivity 101" means?

Somebody helps me to understand this sentence " critics say some boards could use a course in Sensitivity 101, not to mention basic governance." I don't understand what "a course in Sensitivity 101" here means. Thanks a lot!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: What "sensitivity 101" means?

The expression "sensitivity 101" or "cooking 101" or "painting 101" implies that the person needs to learn more about a particular subject, as in taking a class in it.

If you are in need of taking a course in "sensitivity 101" you need to learn to be more sensitive to either people's feelings, or racial issues, or just becoming a more sensitive person.

I am not a teacher.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Right, 101 is a stereotypical first year university course code number. Physics 101, Math 101, etc.

a course in Sensitivity 101

This implies that a person/group is so lacking in sensitivity, that they need to go right back to basics - the most elementary, beginner's course, 101 - in order to start acquiring it.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

In case anyone wondered about the origin of "101" as the definitive marker of an introductory course, here is what my favorite magazine/web site mental floss has to say:

Ever wonder how the number “101” came to describe the basic or introductory level of any and everything?

The first recorded use of an introductory class being designated as “101” was in a University of Buffalo course catalog dated 1929. However, it wasn’t until the early 1930s that universities in the United States started using a three-digit system to identify their courses. The method wasn’t quite uniform, but it was more logical than the non-system of naming courses that had previously been in place.

In the 1930s, college students started regarding a university degree as a means to a better job, and as a result, universities started added more specialized classes to their curriculum. Students were also traveling further afield after graduation in search of work, so it became important for a potential employer to be able to compare candidates: Was a passing grade in Cost Accounting 203 at Kent State the same as one in Business Accounting 4 at the University of Michigan? Eventually, colleges started using a three-digit designation, in which the first digit indicated the academic level (1=Freshman, 2=Sophomore, etc.). The second digit usually represented a department (English, Science, etc.) and the third the level of the class within the department. These were not hard and fast rules, and still vary from school to school.

However, as the three-digit system became more commonplace, it seemed that “101” always represented a basic beginning course, no matter what the discipline. By the late 1960s, the phrase was starting to enter the vernacular at large, outside of the collegiate realm.

I checked out the site, and have added it to menu of favourites (Mac OS).
    I like the story of the man who was refused entry to Britain "because he wanted to spend a week in England’s north country. He was denied entry after officials claimed it was “not credible” for anyone to want to spend a week in Gateshead."

Obviously, the Gateshead Tourist Authority have their work cut out for them in terms of the domestic holiday-market front!
    Last edited by David L.; 08-May-2009 at 21:02.

4. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Smile Re: What "sensitivity 101" means?

Thanks so much for your help. Now I understand what it means.