• Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

more likely

Hello everyone

I'm not sure about the meaning of "are more likely to be heavy drinkers" in the following context:

The flaunting of the current laws is readily seen among university students. Those under the age of 21 are more likely to be heavy -- sometimes called "binge" -- drinkers (consuming over 5 drinks at least once a week). For example, 22% of all students under 21 compared to 18% over 21 years of age are heavy drinkers. Among drinkers only, 32% of under age compared to 24% of legal age are heavy drinkers.

Does the phrase refer to the future (i.e. it's very possible that they will be/become heavy drinkers) or does it refer to the present (it's very possible that they are heavy drinkers now)?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: more likely

Dear KLPNO:

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone

I'm not sure about the meaning of "are more likely to be heavy drinkers" in the following context:

The flaunting of the current laws is readily seen among university students. Those under the age of 21 are more likely to be heavy -- sometimes called "binge" -- drinkers (consuming over 5 drinks at least once a week). For example, 22% of all students under 21 compared to 18% over 21 years of age are heavy drinkers. Among drinkers only, 32% of under age compared to 24% of legal age are heavy drinkers.

Does the phrase refer to the future (i.e. it's very possible that they will be/become heavy drinkers) or does it refer to the present (it's very possible that they are heavy drinkers now)?
    It refers to the present. If you were predicting future behavior you would say, 'more likely to become heavy drinkers.'

Best wishes,

Petra

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: more likely

Thank you very much, Petra.