• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

reported

Hello everyone

I'd like to ask about the meaning of "reported" in the following context:

While there has been a decrease in per capita consumption and motor vehicle crashes, unfortunately, during this same time period there has been an INCREASE in other problems related to heavy and irresponsible drinking among college age youth. Most of these reported behaviors showed little change until AFTER the 21 year old law in 1987. For example from 1982 until 1987 about 46% of students reported "vomiting after drinking." This jumped to over 50% after the law change.

Does " about 46% of students reported "vomiting after drinking" mean that students themselves reported "vomited after drinking", or does it mean that some other people reported that?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: reported

Quote Originally Posted by KLPNO View Post
    Hello everyone

I'd like to ask about the meaning of "reported" in the following context:

While there has been a decrease in per capita consumption and motor vehicle crashes, unfortunately, during this same time period there has been an INCREASE in other problems related to heavy and irresponsible drinking among college age youth. Most of these reported behaviors showed little change until AFTER the 21 year old law in 1987. For example from 1982 until 1987 about 46% of students reported "vomiting after drinking." This jumped to over 50% after the law change.

Does " about 46% of students reported "vomiting after drinking" mean that students themselves reported "vomited after drinking",(yes) or does it mean that some other people reported that (no)?
    All the best,

Petra

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Thank you very much, Petra.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Just an additional note:

"Reported" is used in some situations like this - research studies and medical records.

I remember seeing my chart in my doctor's office and it said something like "Patient reports no history of drug use" as thoug he thought I really did have a past drug habit but I only told him I didn't. When I asked about it, he assured me that the used of "reported" was standard. Maybe a medical professional can comment on this use.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Thank you very much, Barb_D.

It called 'covering yourself', Barb.

If he writes, 'the patient has no history of drug abuse', this could be construed in court as a fact. Whenever a professional of any kind testifies, the other side will find any chink in your professionalism, your practice, or your knowledge and experience, to make mince meat of you and destroy your credibility as an expert witness; or how incompetent you are and so probably culpable if this is a malpractice case and the medical records are scrutinized in court. What if you have lied to your doctor/been too embarrassed to tell your long-time family doctor who also treats Mum and Dad, and went off to some other clinic for help with that, unbeknownst to your doctor?
    Don't accept those things a patient tells you as fact, but what they are: self-report.