Post About chocolate

Hello teachers! I am Luzineia, an English teacher from Brazil. I was looking for a simple test for my students but since I have not found any, I decided to write one and I would like you to check the grammar and spelling because (although I am a teacher and study for that) I am not very good at writing. Thank you all. Kisses from Brazil

Chocolate – more than a candy

The delicious secret of the cacao tree was discovered about 2.000 years ago in the tropical rainforests of the Americas. The first people identified to have made chocolate were the cultures in Central America. These people, including the Maya and Aztec, mixed cacao seeds with various herbs to make hot bubbly drinks.
    Later, the Spanish conquistadors took the seeds to Spain, where new recipes were created. Since then, new technologies and innovations have changed the texture and taste of chocolate, but it still remains one of the world’s favorite flavors.
    What makes chocolate so irresistible? Since Montezuma who as an Aztec leader introduced chocolate as a drink to Hernán Cortez one if those Spanish conquistadors, the number of chocolate lovers has increased all around the world.
    Although chocolate has got a bad reputation among doctors, some scientists have said that eating chocolate is not so bad to our health. However, chocolate doesn’t cause acne or make it worse. Good news for chocoholics: chocolate stimulates production of a substance called endorphins that is an anti-depressant, and also chocolate provides us with potassium, magnesium, vitamins and other nutrients.
    So don’t feel so bad after eating chocolate. Just remember that moderation is important to have good health.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Re: About chocolate

Quote Originally Posted by luzineia View Post
    Hello teachers! I am Luzineia, an English teacher from Brazil. I was looking for a simple test for my students but since I have not found any, I decided to write one and I would like you to check the grammar and spelling because (although I am a teacher and study for that) I am not very good at writing. Thank you all. Kisses from Brazil

Chocolate – more than a candy

The delicious secret of the cacao tree was discovered about 2.000 years ago in the tropical rainforests of the Americas. The first people identified to have made chocolate were (the cultures) those in Central America. These people, including the Maya and Aztec, mixed cacao seeds with various herbs to make hot bubbly drinks.
    Later, the Spanish conquistadors took the seeds to Spain, where new recipes were created. Since then, new technologies and innovations have changed the texture and taste of chocolate, but it still remains one of the world’s favorite flavours.
    What makes chocolate so irresistible? Since Montezuma, who as an Aztec leader introduced chocolate as a drink to Hernán Cortez one if those Spanish conquistadors, the number of chocolate lovers has increased all around the world.
    Although chocolate has had (got) a bad reputation among doctors, some scientists have said now that eating chocolate is not so bad (to) for our health. However, chocolate doesn’t cause acne or make it worse. Good news for chocoholics: chocolate stimulates production of (a substance called) endorphins that (is an) can have anti-depressant qualities, and also chocolate provides us with potassium, magnesium, vitamins and other nutrients.
    So don’t feel so bad after eating chocolate. Just remember that moderation is important to have good health.
    Hello Luzineia. You have written a good essay for your students to study and be tested on. If you have any queries about the changes I have suggested please come back here.

Wink Re: About chocolate

Thank you so much! I used the American spelling (flavor) because where I teach, we speak American English and about the other changes, I would like to use Present Perfect instead of Past Perfect because they learned that two weeks ago and they will have a test ( I'm going to use this test) next week and they do not know Past Perfect

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Wales

Quote Originally Posted by luzineia View Post
    Thank you so much! I used the American spelling (flavor) because where I teach, we speak American English and about the other changes, I would like to use Present Perfect instead of Past Perfect because they learned that two weeks ago and they will have a test ( I'm going to use this test) next week and they do not know Past Perfect
    That is fine; but do let them know about different spellings as they will come across these in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by apex2000 View Post
    That is fine; but do let them know about different spellings as they will come across these in the future.
    Thanks for this suggestion and I do that and also with websites and dictionaries I show them the difference in pronunciations