Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    #1

    contrast

    What is the difference between: "in contrast" and "on the contrary"?

    Which of them should be used in compare and contrast essay?

  2. #2

    Re: contrast

    Quote Originally Posted by sash2008 View Post
    What is the difference between: "in contrast" and "on the contrary"?

    Which of them should be used in compare and contrast essay?
    Not much difference really, as far as I can see. "On the contrary" sounds more conversatonal. "So, you are a jazz fan?" "On the contrary, I prefer Rock." sort of thing. I would stick to "in contrast" for a serious essay.

  3. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    #3

    Re: contrast

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryRestrcited View Post
    Not much difference really, as far as I can see. "On the contrary" sounds more conversatonal. "So, you are a jazz fan?" "On the contrary, I prefer Rock." sort of thing. I would stick to "in contrast" for a serious essay.

    Thank you Henry

    So what should I use in a sentence like this:
    Mona is pessimistic and gloomy. (In conrast- On the contrary), Noha is optimistic and cheerful.

    Teachers, I need your help.

  4. #4

    Re: contrast

    Quote Originally Posted by sash2008 View Post
    Thank you Henry

    So what should I use in a sentence like this:
    Mona is pessimistic and gloomy. (In conrast- On the contrary), Noha is optimistic and cheerful.

    Teachers, I need your help.
    I'd go for In contrast, ....

    I was wondering who Henry was in your Thank you. My actual name is Jim. HenryStricted is just a pun on unrestricted because I got unrestricted access when I signed up.
    JT

  5. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    #5

    Smile Re: contrast

    Quote Originally Posted by HenryRestrcited View Post
    I'd go for In contrast, ....

    I was wondering who Henry was in your Thank you. My actual name is Jim. HenryStricted is just a pun on unrestricted because I got unrestricted access when I signed up.
    JT
    Ok.
    I don't know your actual name.
    so, thank you Jim.

Similar Threads

  1. contrast
    By mayclaire in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26-Jul-2008, 13:56
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Mar-2006, 06:27
  3. compare and contrast
    By Unregistered 1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-Sep-2005, 07:04
  4. Compare and contrast.
    By Latoof in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-Dec-2004, 14:00
  5. I need som help in comparison and contrast essay
    By red rose in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-Nov-2004, 13:18

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •