team is vs team are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassieq

Member Type
Other
Hi everyone,

I'm having a total brain snap. Which is correct?

My team is continually thinking of new and innovative ways to leverage this opportunity for our clients.

My team are continually thinking of new and innovative ways to leverage this opportunity for our clients.

I'm sure it's 'is'. A team still combines to make a single entity, doesn't it?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It can be either. Do you think of the team as the single entity, or do you think of it as a collection of individuals?

In the US, you'll see it used with the singular FAR more often, but even so, it's not required.

I'd use "is" because I'm from the US, but if I saw "are" I wouldn't think it was wrong.

{not a teacher}

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
hi everyone,
welcome!
i'm having a total brain snap. Which is correct?
in my opinion...
my team is continually thinking of new and innovative ways to leverage this opportunity for our clients. :tick:

My team are continually thinking of new and innovative ways to leverage this opportunity for our clients. :cross:

I'm sure it's 'is'. A team still combines to make a single entity, doesn't it?
yes, logically it does, but british speakers use words like "team" to mean 'team members'.

David L.

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
As Barb_D wrote:It can be either. Do you think of the team as the single entity, or do you think of it as a collection of individuals?

If the former, we use 'is':
The UK WorldSkills team is managed by UK Skills working in partnership with the Department for Innovation, ...the Scottish Government, ...

Why this Manchester United team is Sir Alex Ferguson's best ever, writes Martin Lipton

The UK team is coordinated by the University of Nottingham. School of Mathematical Sciences, Division of Theoretical Mechanics ...

If as individuals:
The team are highly professional and well-regarded." Peter Moore ... Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce - Striking UK PSPs today. ...
Games Industry jobs

EuroSkills 2008 Team UKEuroSkills 2008 Team UK official microsite website. ... The team are all lovely people and we support each other to do the best we can. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.