• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

hack/ homespun/fever/carpooling/onslaught

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

“Jen's out there looking for new work; but can she hack it without Mary by her side?”

hack = Slang. To cope with successfully

“He sat on the examination table, the picture of misery, coughing, red-eyed and shivering. His fever was 103. An interview and an examination suggested influenza (the rapid diagnostic test for flu wasn’t available at that time), but there was little I could offer him, other than ibuprofen and some homespun advice.”

fever = temperature have a temperature = have fever

Such being the case, would you be kind enough to tell me why you say “take the temperature” as well as “take reading of the temperature” but not “take the fever”?

homespun = simple and homely; unpretentious

“And I confront it almost daily in my primary care practice. No one can miss a day — a minute, even — of work, carpooling, volunteering, vacation, anything.”

carpooling (also known as car-sharing, ride-sharing, lift-sharing), is the shared use of a car by the driver and one or more passengers, usually for commuting

"If the swine flu epidemic ever swings into full gear, I will be prepared for the onslaught of ill patients."

onslaught = an offensive against an enemy (using weapons)

In this instance I surmise that it is more likely to use the word “influx”, “throng” or “babel” and not the far-fetched “onslaught”.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Re: hack/ homespun/fever/carpooling/onslaught

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

“Jen's out there looking for new work; but can she hack it without Mary by her side?”

hack = Slang. To cope with successfully

“He sat on the examination table, the picture of misery, coughing, red-eyed and shivering. His fever was 103. An interview and an examination suggested influenza (the rapid diagnostic test for flu wasn’t available at that time), but there was little I could offer him, other than ibuprofen and some homespun advice.”

fever = temperature have a temperature = have fever >> a medical condition in which the body temperature is higher than usual and the heart beats very fast

Such being the case, would you be kind enough to tell me why you say “take the temperature” as well as “take reading of the temperature” but not “take the fever”?
    You need to establish the level of temperature in order to confirm the diagnosis.

homespun = simple and homely; unpretentious

“And I confront it almost daily in my primary care practice. No one can miss a day — a minute, even — of work, carpooling, volunteering, vacation, anything.”

carpooling (also known as car-sharing, ride-sharing, lift-sharing), is the shared use of a car by the driver and one or more passengers, usually for commuting

"If the swine flu epidemic ever swings into full gear, I will be prepared for the onslaught of ill patients."

onslaught = an offensive against an enemy (using weapons) In this context, it is more like a rush of extra patients.

In this instance I surmise that it is more likely to use the word “influx”, “throng” or “babel” and not the far-fetched “onslaught”.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.