Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    #1

    have or has

    Both the nineteenth century and the twentieth century have some common features.

    which is correct have or has?


    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 2,886
    #2

    Re: have or has

    Quote Originally Posted by sash2008 View Post
    Both the nineteenth century and the twentieth century have some common features.

    which is correct have or has?
    Only have is correct. Anyway, your sentence does not need the word both.
    common admits (at least) two items.

  2. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    #3

    Re: have or has

    can I say

    Both of the nineteenth century and the twentieth century have some common features.

    Both the nineteenth and the twentieth centuries have some common features.

    Both of the nineteenth and the twentieth centuries have some common features.

    Either of the nineteenth and the twentieth centuries have some common features.

    Either the nineteenth or the twentieth century has some common features.


    Are they correct?

  3. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #4

    Re: have or has

    Only the second is acceptable, unless you mean something odd. But Svartnik is absolutely right, we prefer avoiding "both" here because commonality is already shown in "common" so it is redundant. Redundancy creates lack of clarity, as in the Douglas Adams sentence:

    "We are like brothers, because we have 3 of the same mothers."

  4. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    #5

    Re: have or has

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Only the second is acceptable, unless you mean something odd. But Svartnik is absolutely right, we prefer avoiding "both" here because commonality is already shown in "common" so it is redundant. Redundancy creates lack of clarity, as in the Douglas Adams sentence:

    "We are like brothers, because we have 3 of the same mothers."

    Ok Mr konungursvia
    I get it
    but the focus is on the use of "both" generally
    I will delete the word common because as you and svartnik told me it cannot come with both
    so,
    in a senntence like
    Maha and Mona are Egyptians.
    How can I use both- both of- either ?

  5. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #6

    Re: have or has

    Maha and Mona are Egyptian(s).
    They are both Egyptian(s).
    Both of them are Egyptian(s).

  6. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

    • Join Date: Nov 2008
    • Posts: 519
    #7

    Re: have or has

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Maha and Mona are Egyptian(s).
    They are both Egyptian(s).
    Both of them are Egyptian(s).
    Thank you
    What about the "s" in Egyptians?

  7. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #8

    Re: have or has

    Use the S if you mean Egyptian as a noun. He is an Egyptian. They are Egyptians.

    Use no S if you mean égyptien as an adjective: Egyptian. They are Egyptian (by birth or by naturalisation). They are Egyptian (by birth... etc.)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •