Question Help!

I'm reading this book called "Life of Pi" and ran into this sentenc that I could not understand. It says,"A number of my fellow religious-studies students---muddled agnositcs who didn't know which way was up, who were in the thrall of reason, that fool's gold for the bright--reminded me of the three-toed sloth;..."I'm having a hard time understanding the sentence and figuring out its grammar(the underlined part). I'd appreciate it if you could explain it to me. thanks!

Re: Help!

A number of my fellow religious-studies students---muddled agnositcs who didn't know which way was up, who were in the thrall of reason, that fool's gold for the bright--reminded me of the three-toed sloth;

What a big mess in the syntactic jungle.

I would say, religious studies fellow students.

"who" is a relative pronoun. The predicate of the matrix clause cannot come between the noun phrase and its modifier, the relative clause.

My edited version:
    A number of my religious studies fellow students reminded me of the three-toed sloth. They muddled agnositcs who and didn't know which way was up. who They were in the thrall of reason, that fool's gold for the bright.

I am not sure the author of the book will agree with you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Thanks for answers but the question was and is what does the underlined part of the sentence mean?

I've tried to interpret and could't either.

(By the way I did not know that there's not such a word as "interpritate", I thought it was a verb form of a word "interpretation").

Quote Originally Posted by tanyad View Post
    "A number of my fellow religious-studies students Several of the other students on the religious studies course that I was/am taking ---muddled agnostics who didn't know which way was up, who were in the thrall of reason, that fool's gold for the bright whose mode of thinking is confused by their use of "reason", the false beacon of the intelligentsia --reminded me of the three-toed sloth; brought to my mind the three-toed sloth (which moves EXTREMELY slowly)