Please help me with a few words of this song

Below are lyrics of the court of the crimson king by king crimson. Would you please explain a few specified phrases for me. Thank you.

The rusted chains of prison moons
    Are shattered by the sun.
    I walk a road, horizons change
    The tournament's begun.
    The purple piper plays his tune,
    The choir softly sing;
    Three lullabies in an ancient tongue,
    For the court of the crimson king.

The keeper of the city keys
    Puts shutters on the dreams.
    I wait outside the pilgrim's door
    With insufficient schemes.
    The black queen chants
    the funeral march,
    The cracked brass bells will ring;
    To summon back the fire witch
    To the court of the crimson king.

The gardener plants an evergreen
    Whilst trampling on a flower.
    I chase the wind of a prism ship
    To taste the sweet and sour.
    The pattern juggler lifts his hand;
    The orchestra begin.
    As slowly turns the grinding wheel
    In the court of the crimson king.

On soft gray mornings widows cry
    The wise men share a joke;
    I run to grasp divining signs
    To satisfy the hoax.
    The yellow jester does not play
    But gently pulls the strings
    And smiles as the puppets dance
    In the court of the crimson king.

1.prison moons: does prison moons mean moon seen from the prison?

2.purple piper, yellow jester: do these 2 phrase mean piper dressed in purple and jester dressed in yellow. Any indirect meanings?

3.insufficient schemes: I don't quite understand this phrase in the lyrics...what do the schemes refer to?

4.pattern juggler: I know that juggler refers to the one who plays tricks of manual dexterity in order to entertain others. But what does pattern juggler exactly mean?

Again, thank you for your reply.

Re: Please help me with a few words of this song

Is there a connection between the author of this and your user name? My instinct is that the author is the only person who can answer your questions.

The words that are in rock songs can sometime be quite obscure in what they refer to.

1. Moons that are prisons.

2. I think you are right, the lyric refers to their dress.

3. No specific scheme or plan (that is good enough or not) is mentioned in the lyrics so I think it refers to whatever scheme the subject of the song is considering at that moment.

4. I think in this instance " the pattern juggler" is again how the juggler is dressed. For example, in a suit with a bright pattern.

The words that are in rock songs are often intentionally obscure, so that their fans can enjoy the mystery and create their own meanings and associations. However, it seems that the entire album this song comes from is based on the life and times of Frederick II, a medieval king.

The full explanation starts here: In the Court of the Crimson King ~ Epitaph

The lyrics you want start about halfway down this page:
    The Court of the Crimson King

Apparently, a pattern juggler is one who juggles patterns... with flaming torches.

I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    Is there a connection between the author of this and your user name? My instinct is that the author is the only person who can answer your questions.
    My username comes from my favorite Japanese manga JoJo Bizarre Adventure, in which a character has a supernatural ability called King Crimson, an ability to delete a short period of time... Later I came to know that the author had named different supernatural abilities in his book after different world-famous music bands, and King Crimson as a progressive rock group is one of them.
    It sounds pretty cool to me, so I just selected kingcrimson as my username.

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense View Post
    The words that are in rock songs are often intentionally obscure, so that their fans can enjoy the mystery and create their own meanings and associations. However, it seems that the entire album this song comes from is based on the life and times of Frederick II, a medieval king.

The full explanation starts here: In the Court of the Crimson King ~ Epitaph

The lyrics you want start about halfway down this page:
    The Court of the Crimson King

Apparently, a pattern juggler is one who juggles patterns... with flaming torches.
    I was told that this song is depicting a dream, a fantasy world.

It is very metaphysical and dreamlike. It is definitely not realism. In the links I gave, it says this:

"Imagine Frederick, the poet, alone in his palace, towards the end of his life, lost in thought. Images flood his mind, recounting a life of triumph, tragedy and betrayal. Like Hammill's Emperor In His War Room, he is haunted by ghosts, "torn apart by nightmares and with dreams". This is the Frederick portrayed on the album cover."
    So whoever told you that the song depicted a dream was well on track. There's a lot of symbolism from myth and legend which suggests that the "fantasy world" or dream is allegory for a life journey. That journey may be both physical (in this world) and spiritual (the realm of heaven). I would hesitate to refer to spiritual realms as fantasy worlds... but that may be how they appear to you.

You are, of course, welcome to give the song your own interpretation.

I also learned that the Crimson King appears as a character in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. The books would have been written after the song and may have nothing to do with it, but if you like dark fantasy they might interest you. http://www.stephenking.com/darktower/the_books.html
    Last edited by nonsense; 18-May-2009 at 15:48.

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense View Post
    It is very metaphysical and dreamlike. It is definitely not realism. In the links I gave, it says this:

So whoever told you that the song depicted a dream was well on track. There's a lot of symbolism from myth and legend which suggests that the "fantasy world" or dream is allegory for a life journey. That journey may be both physical (in this world) and spiritual (the realm of heaven). I would hesitate to refer to spiritual realms as fantasy worlds... but that may be how they appear to you.

You are, of course, welcome to give the song your own interpretation.

I also learned that the Crimson King appears as a character in Stephen King's Dark Tower series. The books would have been written after the song and may have nothing to do with it, but if you like dark fantasy they might interest you. The Dark Tower - Official Web Site
    The articles you linked are pretty interesting.
    Thank you for your helpfulness.