• Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

cause vs. reason

Hello everyone

I'd like to ask about the difference between cause and reason:

Economic variables do not explain, because they reflect hypothetical reasons for which agents made their choices, but not the causes of the choices. The ambition of economics has been to build a description of reality on which we could have had a rational consensus between the modeler and the agents whose behavior the modeler models. For that to happen reasons need to be causes, but there are powerful reasons to believe they are not. Bubbles are an empirical ground for the same.

Is 'reason' a synonym of 'motive' in the context above?

Re: cause vs. reason

Reason has to do with the rational mind, how we explain our actions or why we think we do what we do. The cause is what actually produces the effect, result or consequence. Reason implies thought while cause implies movement, the creation of a result. In some cases reason and cause can be synonyms. For example if my thoughts (reason) lead me to take a certain action, then that reason was the cause of my actions. In this example they are pointing out the differences between why we think we do something (reason) and what actually makes us do it (cause).

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: cause vs. reason

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense View Post
    Reason has to do with the rational mind, how we explain our actions or why we think we do what we do. The cause is what actually produces the effect, result or consequence. Reason implies thought while cause implies movement, the creation of a result. In some cases reason and cause can be synonyms. For example if my thoughts (reason) lead me to take a certain action, then that reason was the cause of my actions. In this example they are pointing out the differences between why we think we do something (reason) and what actually makes us do it (cause).
    Thank you very much, nonsense.