1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Present Progressive Vs Present Simple

I know that generally Present Progressive addreses situation and things that happen at the same moment u speak.... for example: the teacher is now explaining the student about the human heart. in the other way u have Present Simple where u address thing that either accuer generally or the accuer from time to time or once a week and so on and so on.

My question is about two phrases that i'v been told that are both correct to say but the person that told me that they are correct could not explain to me why.... of course he's a native English speaker.
    the two phrases are:
    Jack plays the guitar
    Jack is playing the guitar

What I think is that in the first one u say that he generally plays the guitar and in the second one u refer to something that is happening at the moment or to a specific time when Jack will play the guitar..... for example: Jack is playing the guitar at the concert that we are going to.

The person that I asked simply said that i was wrong and that u can say it in both ways..... he said that using the progressive form would imply that Jack plays the guitar among other instruments and the simple form would imply that that is the only instrument he plays.....

sooooooo can someone make order in all that mess and explain to me if i'm right and if not why?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Re: Present Progressive Vs Present Simple

Hello! I'm not a native speaker or teacher but I like to take part in such discussions.

It seems to me that you understand the difference(s) between Present Progressive and Present Simple.

In this sentence...Jack is playing the guitar at the concert that we are going to...I'd rather say that Jack will be playing the guitar...It sounds more naturally to me, though may be I'm no right and Present Progressive is quite acceptable here.

Present Simple is not good there either in my opinion.

What I think is that in the first one u you say that he generally plays the guitar and in the second one u you refer to something that is happening at the moment or to a specific time when Jack will play the guitar
    You are right (though the 'something' in "something that is happening at the moment " needs to be discussed more.

"Jack is playing the guitar at the concert that we are going to..."
    is quite correct from the speaker's point of view.........

...as is (from another speaker's point of view) what greegorush suggests:
    "Jack will be playing the guitar..."

How about some non-native speakers telling us why nits is right, not his friend; and why are both nits and greegorush correct?
    Last edited by David L.; 19-May-2009 at 09:12.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Telugu
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

What I think is that in the first one u say that he generally plays the guitar and in the second one u refer to something that is happening at the moment or to a specific time when Jack will play the guitar
    This is exactly what I think too.

Jack is playing the guitar at the concert that we are going to...

This sounds perfectly natural to me.

Jack is always playing Guitar.

Also, I'd use the above sentence when I want to say that he is horrible at that or he doesn't concentrate on his studies and in such similar situations.