Lightbulb There was and there has been

1. In recent years, there has been a dramatic increase in the percentage of bilinguals in population.

2. In recent years, there was a dramatic increase in the percentage of bilinguals in population.

3. During the 1990's, there was a steep rise in the proportion of Europeans using mobile phones

I would appeciate anyone who can help me clarify a gramma point:there has been and there was. On what condition, I should use there has been, otherwise, there was.

Thanks in advance!

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

Re: There was and there has been

Hello mirrortong

Non-specific time reference
    1. In recent years, there has been a dramatic increase in the percentage of bilinguals in population.

2. In recent years, there was a dramatic increase in the percentage of bilinguals in population.

Specific time reference
    3. During the 1990's, there was a steep rise in the proportion of Europeans using mobile phones.

The beauty of the present perfect is that it places focus on the event, not when that event happened. Which is why specific time adverbial (e.g., yesterday, 4 o'clock) aren't compatible with the present perfect.
    "The following words are often used with the present perfect: since, for, recent, recently, just, ever, yet, already."

The present perfect tense
    Use the simple past with specific time adverbials.

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Hello mirrortong

Non-specific time reference

Specific time reference
    3. During the 1990's, there was a steep rise in the proportion of Europeans using mobile phones.

The beauty of the present perfect is that it places focus on the event, not when that event happened. Which is why specific time adverbial (e.g., yesterday, 4 o'clock) aren't compatible with the present perfect.
    "The following words are often used with the present perfect: since, for, recent, recently, just, ever, yet, already."

The present perfect tense
    Use the simple past with specific time adverbials.
    Thank you so much, Alphabet soup (I heard it once on a tv shows Friends :) ). Your explanation is really helpful. The people here are marvelous, so does this website. Thank you all.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • China

You're most welcome.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    hello mirrortong

which is why specific time adverbial (e.g., yesterday, 4 o'clock) aren't compatible with the present perfect.
    specific time words like 'yesterday' and 'sunday' are compatible with the present perfect, but only in some word associations.
    i have been sick since (yesterday)(sunday).
    i have been sick on sunday.
    i was sick on sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by 2006 View Post
    This is definitely informative, and I'm sure I didn't notice this before. Thank you all so much. May you all have a nice sunny day. Gotta back to hit my book, the exam is due next week