• Post Thanks / Like

Cool ghost at the banquet egging a car

1. What does "ghost at the banquet" mean in the following news report: " Many Indians, looking at the chaos spreading closer to its western border, are probably wishing their country was less proximate to Afghanistan and Pakistan. But geography and history have decreed otherwise. Barrack Obama may be the latest US Prsidnet to host the rulers of Afghanistan and Pakistan, but the ghost at the banquet is surely India. the reason is simple: Pakistan is unwilling to cease supporting the Afghan Taliban, so long as it believes any other regime in Kabul will be too friendly to India. And unless Islamabad can be persuaded otherwise, the US war in Afghanistan could be a never-ending struggle. 2. What does "egg the car" mean in the folowing para where the word "egged" is used in inverted commas in the original : "He doesn't speak up easily. Especially when the matter is even remotely controversial. But on the eve of his return to Mumbai from Singapore, for the first time since an obscenity case was slapped against him and wife Twinkle, Akshay Kumar decides to break the silence. "It's all yesterday's news now, wrapped up and in the dustbin. Though I leave tomorrow for Bombay, I've been away shooting since all this blew up, so wish me luck. I just want to make it home from the airport without my car being "egged" by anyone who hasn't ever been unbuttoned by his wife", he laughs.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: ghost at the banquet egging a car

In this instance "Ghost at the banquet" means that although India is not attending the meeting, they have a presence there ie their influence will be considered by the other countries representatives attending the meeting.

"Egged" I think refers to the habit of protesters of throwing rotten eggs, (the most popular target seems to be politicians). This expression may be a colloquial one.

• Post Thanks / Like

I thought "Ghost at the banquet" was generally an allusion to Banquo's ghost appearing in Shakespeare's Macbeth. Macbeth is having a banquet, and the ghost of a man he murdered appears and scares the wits out of him. Macbeth freaks out and causes a scene. In metaphor, it might mean a threat that only one person can see or a bad presence that just won't go away and ruins the party? I am not very familiar with the use of this phrase.

"Egged" means to have eggs thrown at it. It's a form of vandalism. They may throw eggs (rotten or otherwise) at his car to express their disapproval. Putting the term in quotes may indicate that he doesn't mean it as a literal act. They might throw other nasty things at his car or harass him in a different way.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

In the US, having your car "egged" is an act of vandalism that involves throwing raw eggs at a vehicle. If you've ever tried to scrape egg off of your car after it's had time to harden, you'll know why this is very annoying. Dried egg can seriously damage the paint of a vehicle.