• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

I'm looking for your expert opinion 6

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me your expert opinion concerning the usage of the expressions in bold in the following 22 sentences?

1. You sound as though you have a cold.
    2. She complained of feeling feverish and went early to bed.
    3. Vin was always shivering slightly with cold even on a hot summer day.
    4. He was susceptible to drafts and convinced that the merest puff of air could lay him low.
    5. “Would you mind not smoking. My throat has been bad for some time.” He murmured that it was terrible weather; influenza throats were common.
    6. He had had the grippe, with one lung slightly affected, he was very weak, he lacked resistance.
    7. Mr. Crove phoned and asked me to tell you he’s ill with the flu.
    8. Last year he developed diabetes and was invalided out of the Services.
    9. Gerrit was an almost helpless cripple; both his shins had been shattered when he swerved under the weight of a sack of barley and toppled over the side of the stairs.
    10. These electronic devices are opening up new worlds for the severily handicapped.
    11. Eizabeth Higgins was a professional ballet dancer when in 1950, at the height of her career, she contracted polio. Paralyzed from the neck down, she spent nearly two years in an iron lung.
    12. The boy was send to the mentally retarded children’s home.
    13. He was taken to the hospital.
    14. He told the mother “Bring her back at ten tomorrow morning to the pediatric outpatient department” and gave her a referral slip.
    15. Temperatures were taken twice a day in the ward. Early each morning and late each afternoon nurse Cramer entered with a jar full of thermometers and worked her way up one side of the ward and down the other, distributing a thermometer to each patient.
    16. The doctor took the stethoscope from his bag, thrust the ends into his ears and hold the diaphragma to Rad’s chest.
    17. The doctor gave Kay an injection to make her sleep and within half an hour she was in hospital and remained there for over a month.
    18. He was taken to the hospital this afternoon for an emergency removal of his appendix.
    19. The patient’s history showed two operations in the past, one for removal of an acutely inflamed appendix, the other for a perforated ulcer.
    20. Take out half the stitches on Mr. Ross, a patient who had had his gall bladder removed a week earlier.
    21. One night a patient came in who was bleeding massively from a giant ulcer of the stomach.
    22. Finally I wrote orders for the necessary sedation to be given before the operation.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Last edited by vil; 20-May-2009 at 15:44.

Re: I'm looking for your expert opinion 6

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me your expert opinion concerning the usage of the expressions in bold in the following 22 sentences?

4. He was susceptible to drafts and convinced that the merest puff of air could lay him low.
    5. “Would you mind not smoking. My throat has been bad for some time.” He murmured that it was terrible weather; influenza throats were common.
    6. He had had the grippe, with one lung slightly affected, he was very weak, he lacked resistance.
    8. Last year he developed diabetes and was invalided out of the Services.
    9. Gerrit was an almost helpless cripple; both his shins had been shattered when he swerved under the weight of a sack of barley and toppled over the side of the stairs.
    10. These electronic devices are opening up new worlds for the severely handicapped.
    11. Eizabeth Higgins was a professional ballet dancer when in 1950, at the height of her career, she contracted polio. Paralyzed from the neck down, she spent nearly two years in an iron lung.
    12. The boy was send to the mentally retarded children’s home.
    14. He told the mother “Bring her back at ten tomorrow morning to the pediatric outpatient department” and gave her a referral slip.
    15. Temperatures were taken twice a day in the ward. Early each morning and late each afternoon nurse Cramer entered with a jar full of thermometers and worked her way up one side of the ward and down the other, distributing a thermometer to each patient.
    16. The doctor took the stethoscope from his bag, thrust the ends into his ears and hold the diaphragma to Rad’s chest.
    17. The doctor gave Kay an injection to make her sleep and within half an hour she was in hospital and remained there for over a month.
    18. He was taken to the hospital this afternoon for an emergency removal of his appendix.
    19. The patient’s history showed two operations in the past, one for removal of an acutely inflamed appendix, the other for a perforated ulcer.
    20. Take out half the stitches on Mr. Ross, a patient who had had his gall bladder removed a week earlier.
    21. One night a patient came in who was bleeding massively from a giant ulcer of the stomach.
    22. Finally I wrote orders for the necessary sedation to be given before the operation.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

5. “Would you mind not smoking. My throat has been bad for some time.” He murmured that it was terrible weather; influenza throats were common. I have no idea what an influenza throat is. I would use "sore throats". Influenza is a particular illness and does not necessarily mean that there is a sore throats.
    8. Last year he developed diabetes and was invalided out of the Services. Invalidated???? I would use discharged.
    9. Gerrit was an almost helpless cripple; both his shins had been shattered when he swerved (swerved is generally used in the context of a vehicle, I would use he buckled or collappsed) under the weight of a sack of barley and toppled over the side of the stairs.
    10. These electronic devices are opening up new worlds for the severely handicapped.
    12. The boy was send to the mentally retarded children’s home. (home for severely challlenged children.)
    16. The doctor took the stethoscope from his bag, thrust the ends into his ears and hold (held) the diaphragm to Rad’s chest.
    18. He was taken to the hospital this afternoon for an emergency removal of his appendix. (this is not incorrect, but you could use an emergency appendectomy.)
    20. Take out half the stitches on Mr. Ross, a patient who had had his gall bladder removed a week earlier. (Is this an order or part of a conversation? It needs to say something like "I had to take out half the stitches etc.)

Regards,

V.
    I am not a teacher.

To be invalided out of the services is normal terminology - your service is terminated as your physical condition is one of permanent and chronic disorder.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Yes, that surely makes sense!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Anglika View Post
    To be invalided out of the services is normal terminology - your service is terminated as your physical condition is one of permanent and chronic disorder.
    Another one to add to my BrE usage list of phrases I was unfamilar with before I started hanging out on ESL forums!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

invalid (v)

1. To incapacitate physically.

2. Chiefly British. To release or exempt from duty because of ill health: “I was not quite sick enough to be invalided out, even though I was of no more use” (Mary Lee Settle).

“to be invalided out of the army”

Regards,

V.