• Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Question bailing out

hi
    please tell me whate bailing out means in this text:
    Look, if they are thinking that I'm going to follow the policies of Carlos Andres Perez ... or that of George Bush now, over the last few months, of bailing out with thousands of millions of dollars, as was previously done here, to this financial oligarchy, this unpatriotic bourgeoisie, they are very mistaken
    thanks
    bye

Re: bailing out

Leaving without prior notice, to the detriment of the other parties.

Bail out means to get someone out of trouble by providing money. George bush spent "thousands of millions of dollars" to try to save the banks from their financial trouble. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say he gave thousands of millions of dollars to the banks because of their financial trouble which may or may not have actually helped anyone. A lot of people think this was a bad policy, and the speaker you are quoting says that he does not plan to follow Bush's example.

ľnoun 1. the act of parachuting from an aircraft, esp. to escape a crash, fire, etc. 2. an instance of coming to the rescue, esp. financially: a government bailout of a large company. 3. an alternative, additional choice, or the like: If the highway is jammed, you have two side roads as bailouts

Phrasal Verb(s):
    bail out
    1. To parachute from an aircraft; eject.
    2. To abandon a project or enterprise.

Given the context, I thought they must be referring to the recent bank bailouts since that would have been considered a policy. "Follow the policies... of George Bush... of bailing out with thousands of millions of dollars [missing object]." I suppose they might be claiming it was George Bush's policy to take the money and run... More context might be necessary to be sure.

3. Informal To extricate from a difficult situation: always bailing you out of trouble.

bail 1. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.
    bailout. The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

Smile Re: bailing out

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense View Post
    Given the context, I thought they must be referring to the recent bank bailouts since that would have been considered a policy. "Follow the policies... of George Bush... of bailing out with thousands of millions of dollars [missing object]." I suppose they might be claiming it was George Bush's policy to take the money and run... More context might be necessary to be sure.

3. Informal To extricate from a difficult situation: always bailing you out of trouble.

bail 1. The American Heritage« Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.
    bailout. The American Heritage« Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.
    More complete text
    In the final minutes of his January 13 speech, Chavez clarified: "There are prognoses coming from different quarters of the political opposition, and some media outlets, of an economic debacle in Venezuela
    To the opposition: pray that the great world crisis of capitalism, the great world capitalist economic crisis, doesn't reach here with the intensity that you are wishing for.

"Why? Because Carlos Andres Perez [a former social democratic president who, in 1989, implemented harsh anti-poor neoliberal policies that resulted in the
    Caracazo uprising] is not the person heading this government. Hugo Chavez is.

"Look, if they are thinking that I'm going to follow the policies of Carlos Andres Perez ... or that of George Bush now, over the last few months, of bailing out with thousands of millions of dollars, as was previously done here, to this financial oligarchy, this unpatriotic bourgeoisie, they are very mistaken.

"If the impact of the economic crisis of world capitalism reaches here with force, it is those sectors of national capitalism that are going to be hit hard.

"It won't be the people. It will not be the revolution

Yes, I am certain he is referring to the financial bailouts. He will not use government money to help the bankers or big businesses whom he has labeled a "financial oligarchy" and "unpatriotic bourgeoisie". It is not the clearest sentence construction.