• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

contingency fees

Can you please explain what the following sentences imply? It is very confusing to me.

1. solicitors now work for contingency fees in civil cases where the plaintiff would not be able to afford to bring an action.2The legal team would get a share of the damages awarded.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: contingency fees

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post
    Can you please explain what the following sentences imply? It is very confusing to me.

1. solicitors now work for contingency fees in civil cases where the plaintiff would not be able to afford to bring an action.2The legal team would get a share of the damages awarded.
    It means that where a client is not able to file a suit due to financial constraints, the lawyers go ahead with the case without charging fees, but when the damages are awarded, they claim the fees from such amount of compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by bosun View Post

Erin Brockovich? The film? Have you seen it?
    The film centred around a civil case that was taken to binding arbitration to resolve a lon-running dispute between local residents and a company which contaminated the ground water with hexavalent chromium and so caused numerous diseases for locals.

a local, a petitioner: I am not sure how much this is going to cost us (= I think we cannot afford the high legal fees).
    The lawyer (Ed Masry): My fee is 40% of whatever you get awarded.
    Erin (she works for Ed, the lawyer): Boys, I know how you feel. The first time I heard that number, I said, "Uh, you gotta be kidding." Forty gdamn percents? ... Then I asked him (the lawyer) what he makes if you (petitioners) do not get anything.
    Ed: I do not get anything either.
    Erin: Plus he (Ed, the lawyer) is out all the costs. So I realized he (the lawyer) is taking a chance too.

Do you understand the concept of contingency fee now?

It is a form of legal practice that is causing enormous problems as people are encouraged to take legal action on the premise that they only pay legal fees if they win the case. So the lawyers are under pressure to always win their cases.

British courts are clogged up with this kind of case.