Student or Learner
Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentences?
1. It is a cracking yarn and very entertaining, with lots of nice twists and turns to keep you guessing.
cracking yarns = intricate tall tales
twists and turns = tortuous
keep you guessing = to cause you to be uncertain
keep somebody guessing = to not let someone know what will happen next
2. It makes me laugh to read academics and some critics panning the movie because it is scientifically unsound.
pan (v) = Informal. To criticize or review harshly, to find fault with
3. Nobody hurls abuse at JK Rowling because magic doesn't really exist, or Ian Fleming because James Bond's gadgets haven't been invented yet.
4. You'll also be asked to shout, scream and hurl abuse, so your lungs and vocal chords will get a workout.
hurl abuse = shower abuse
get a workout = be exhausted, be worn out
5. Twice divorced, he was living by himself in a beat up old apartment down in Alphabet City, located at the lower end of Manhattan.
beat up = damaged or worn because of neglect or heavy use.
Thank you for your efforts.