• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

cracking yarn/keep you guessing/hurls abuse/get a workout/beat up

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentences?

1. It is a cracking yarn and very entertaining, with lots of nice twists and turns to keep you guessing.
    cracking yarns = intricate tall tales
    twists and turns = tortuous
    keep you guessing = to cause you to be uncertain
    keep somebody guessing = to not let someone know what will happen next

2. It makes me laugh to read academics and some critics panning the movie because it is scientifically unsound.
    pan (v) = Informal. To criticize or review harshly, to find fault with

3. Nobody hurls abuse at JK Rowling because magic doesn't really exist, or Ian Fleming because James Bond's gadgets haven't been invented yet.

4. You'll also be asked to shout, scream and hurl abuse, so your lungs and vocal chords will get a workout.
    hurl abuse = shower abuse
    get a workout = be exhausted, be worn out

5. Twice divorced, he was living by himself in a beat up old apartment down in Alphabet City, located at the lower end of Manhattan.
    beat up = damaged or worn because of neglect or heavy use.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Re: cracking yarn/keep you guessing/hurls abuse/get a workout/beat up

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentences?

1. It is a cracking yarn and very entertaining, with lots of nice twists and turns to keep you guessing.
    cracking yarns = intricate tall tales >> exciting tales
    twists and turns = tortuous
    keep you guessing = to cause you to be uncertain >> keep you on your toes understanding the twists and turns or the story. You keep on guessing what might be the outcome of the story.
    keep somebody guessing = to not let someone know what will happen next

2. It makes me laugh to read academics and some critics panning the movie because it is scientifically unsound.
    pan (v) = Informal. To criticize or review harshly, to find fault with

3. Nobody hurls abuse at JK Rowling because magic doesn't really exist, or Ian Fleming because James Bond's gadgets haven't been invented yet.

4. You'll also be asked to shout, scream and hurl abuse, so your lungs and vocal chords will get a workout.
    hurl abuse = shower abuse
    get a workout = be exhausted, be worn out >> are exercised

5. Twice divorced, he was living by himself in a beat up old apartment down in Alphabet City, located at the lower end of Manhattan.
    beat up = damaged or worn because of neglect or heavy use. In the context of an apartment, worn out by overuse.

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.