1. Unregistered

please proofread.

Please proofread.

(The context is:
    One day I asked someone not to call me by my last name, and she said OK.
    After a while, I e-mailed her and she e-mailed me back.
    She wrote "It's very nice to hear from you", but still called me by my last name in the e-mail.
    So I want to tell her about it.)

Hi XXXXX,
    It's very nice to hear back from you.
    But it would have been nicer if you had remembered that I had asked you not to call me by my last name.

(I'm not sure if I should use "had + ...ed" twice, because my asking happened earlier than her not remembering.)

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Kannada
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: please proofread.

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Please proofread.

(The context is:
    One day I asked someone not to call me by my last name, and she said OK.
    After a while, I e-mailed her and she e-mailed me back.
    She wrote "It's very nice to hear from you", but still called me by my last name in the e-mail.
    So I want to tell her about it.)

Hi XXXXX,
    It's very nice to hear back from you.
    But it would have been nicer if you had remembered that I had asked you not to call me by my last name.

(I'm not sure if I should use "had + ...ed" twice, because my asking happened earlier than her not remembering.)
    ---------------
    (Not a teacher)

Generally, people use surname and address when writing an email. There is nothing wrong in it. If you are so specific about the first name, it can modified as;

Hi XXXXX,
    Thank you for the email.

Please note that I had already informed NOT to address by surname and the same was agreed by you. But you have failed to keep up your promise, hence, bringing to your notice again. "Please ensure in future to call me by first name instead of surname."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Sweden

Re: please proofread.

Personally BOTH sentences are quite rude in my opinion...If I received those sentences in an email I would probably be a little taken aback by your abruptness and demanding or slightly annoyed tone. I would most likely not think well of you for being so demanding and blunt.

Please note that I had already informed NOT to address by surname and the same was agreed by you. But you have failed to keep up your promise, hence, bringing to your notice again. "Please ensure in future to call me by first name instead of surname."

First of what context is this in? Business, personal, new friendship,.... because that will make all the difference in the formality and tone of your writing.

Did they use your first name AND your last name in the email or JUST your last name?
    If they wrote your first AND last name then I would do nothing.
    If it is in a business context I would do nothing.
    If it was in a personal, friendly context I would write:
    Hi XXX It's OK if you use just my first name XXXX when you write to me.
    BUT I would not make a big deal out of it. You risk embarrassing your friend.

Did they JUST use your LAST name?
    If it is in a business context you can write (politely) and say something along the lines of:
    I noticed that in your last email you have referred to me by my last name so I am writing to you to make sure that your customer records are updated to include my first name also which is......

If it was a friend and the email was of a personal nature then I would be gentle in reminding them...again do not make a big deal about it but include it in the body of your next email:

Hi XXXX (Add your own general greetings, news etc)
    I noticed that in your last email you called me by my last name. It would be great if you could use my first name XXXXX

Keep the tone friendly and light. They will probably be embarrassed that they had gotten your name wrong or had forgotten, so it is good to try to be a little kind here!