• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Which sentence is better?

Hello Everyone,

Of the following two sentences, which one is better?

Throughout the line history, human communities have never been so closely interconnected in interests and destinies.

Throughout the line history, the interests and destinies of human communities have never been so closely interconnected .

Regards

Sky

Re: Which sentence is better?

Of the following two sentences, which one is better?

Throughout the line history, human communities have never been so closely interconnected in interests and destinies.

Throughout the line history, the interests and destinies of human communities have never been so closely interconnected .
    With the exception of the beginning, both are correct; however, personally I would prefer the second.

Just one thing: What on earth do you mean by the phrase "Throughout the line history"?

This sounds very weird and very wrong, unless there is some very unusual context that justifies it. If you just mean throughout history, then say that. If you mean throughout the history of something, then say that.

Greg

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

I think it's clear he means "Throughout history..."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by dragn View Post
    With the exception of the beginning, both are correct; however, personally I would prefer the second.

Just one thing: What on earth do you mean by the phrase "Throughout the line history"?

This sounds very weird and very wrong, unless there is some very unusual context that justifies it. If you just mean throughout history, then say that. If you mean throughout the history of something, then say that.

Greg
    Many thanks Greg!

The sentence is taken from my interpreting textbook. I raised the question with the emphasis on the position of the noun phrase "destiny and interests". That is if the phrase is arranged at the end of the sentence or just in the front. If in the front, it accords with our Chinese way of thinking. I mean the sequences of the English words are similar to those of the Chinese, While at the end of the sentence, it is quite at odds with our Chinese. But I feel that many academics pefer to put the phrase at the end like in the textbook, maybe in their opinion it is consistent with English language logic. So I would like to ask the question which I really hope to ask. Which sentence suits more to the English language logic according to your feeling?

I would like to add here both sentences are similar in their Chinese meaning.

Regards

Sky