1. Confused European Student

Question about Eglish grammar

Hi All,

I am preparing for my graduate admission exam and I came accross a question, which is in defiance with the the grammar of the English Language.
    I'd like to get some help regarding this question bellow:

The company announced that its profits declined much less in the second quarter than analysts (had expected and that its business would improve) in the second half of the year.

So my question to the English language xperts is:
    Can we use "had expected with would improve".

At the best of my knowledge, we can use " had expected and would have imroved", or "expected and would improve".
    But I have never seen past perfect tense with the form would?

I am confused. According to the knowledge I acquire from TOEFL and tests I have taken, it is incorrect to use past perfect tense with would.

So, according to my test I am studying for, the right forms of the verbs are the ones I put in the brackets.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Re: Question about Eglish grammar

Would used with the past tense is like a relative future. >would improve = was later to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    Would used with the past tense is like a relative future. >would improve = was later to improve.
    Yes, had expected is a correct use of the past perfect and would improve is like a relative future which must be used after announced since the statement is in indirect discourse..

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

Correctamundo.

...analysts had expected, and that its business would improve in the second half of the year.

'announced' is the Simple Past, and the company is referring to an event that must have happened prior to the company's announcement - (namely: what analysts predicted versus the profits made). Hence, Past Perfect. So far so good.

There is the moment in time when the company made this announcement about the Past; and what they, the company, predicted for the future (the second half of the year). Hence - it is only when the next half a year is over that the company might then announce, 'looking back from NOW (=we are now into the next financial year), we thought profits would have improved in the last half of the last financial year."

Back then, after the second quarter, the company announced, 'they will improve in the next half of the financial year'. When this is reported by an outsider (newspaper) after the company announcement, it becomes 'they also announced theywould improve in the second half.'
    Last edited by David L.; 26-May-2009 at 23:18.

Hello evryone,

This is the author of the question regarding the past perfect tense "had" and "would".

I'd like to thank you all for taking your time to answer my question!

Your help was quite useful.

I will write to you again when I come accross something that I cannot understand.
    English sometimes, especially academic one can be very tough and make no sense to a non native speaker like me.

One more time, thank you!