• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

heads-up/stultifying/spoonfed/ rubber stamp

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am rught with my interpretation of the following sentences?

1. This email is just a quick heads-up about something really useful and interesting.

I know the meaning of the word “heads-up” namely “a warning message” as in "he sent a heads-up to the District Attorney"

There are also another meanings of the term in question: “take care”,”to remove the lower branches from a tree or large shrub”as well as last but not least

“heads-up” (n) = “information or notification, especially in advance” as in “gave me the heads-up on the new security measures

2. It seems to be filled with people who are either consumed with jealousy, or who want to be spoon fed.

jealous = “a jealous attitude or disposition” or “close vigilance”.

spoon-feed = to provide (another) with knowledge or information in an oversimplified way

3. Many a time I've decided to stop visiting that place because the negativity is, at times, dangerous and stultifying.

stultify = to cause to appear stupid, inconsistent, or ridiculous

to stultify a speaker / to stultify the audience

4. Mitch McConnell, leader of the Republicans in the chamber, said his colleagues would treat Ms Sotomayor fairly, but stressed that the Senate should not be a "rubber stamp"

rubber stamp = a person or body that gives perfunctory approval or endorsement of a policy without assessing its merit.

perfunctory = done routinely and with little interest or care

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Re: heads-up/stultifying/spoonfed/ rubber stamp

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am rught with my interpretation of the following sentences?

1. This email is just a quick heads-up about something really useful and interesting.

I know the meaning of the word “heads-up” namely “a warning message” as in "he sent a heads-up to the District Attorney"

There are also another meanings of the term in question: “take care”,”to remove the lower branches from a tree or large shrub”as well as last but not least

“heads-up” (n) = “information or notification, especially in advance” as in “gave me the heads-up on the new security measures update; information in advance

2. It seems to be filled with people who are either consumed with jealousy, or who want to be spoon fed.

jealous = “a jealous attitude or disposition” or “close vigilance”. resent the other people present

spoon-feed = to provide (another) with knowledge or information in an oversimplified way The person need make no effort to acquire the information, just as a baby takes food from a spoon put into its mouth.

3. Many a time I've decided to stop visiting that place because the negativity is, at times, dangerous and stultifying.

stultify = to cause to appear stupid, inconsistent, or ridiculous

to stultify a speaker / to stultify the audience prevents action.

4. Mitch McConnell, leader of the Republicans in the chamber, said his colleagues would treat Ms Sotomayor fairly, but stressed that the Senate should not be a "rubber stamp"

rubber stamp = a person or body that gives perfunctory approval or endorsement of a policy without assessing its merit.

perfunctory = done routinely and with little interest or care

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.