• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

reality show

Hi there,

When is the reality showing on TV? What channel is showing the program?

Does 'reality' in the above sentence mean 'reality show'?
    tks
    pete

Re: reality show

This only works if "The Reality" is the name of the reality show. Otherwise, you need to say, "When is the reality show showing on TV?" It's not the greatest sentence. You could say, "When is the reality show playing on TV?"

Question Re: reality show

Quote Originally Posted by nonsense View Post
    This only works if "The Reality" is the name of the reality show. Otherwise, you need to say, "When is the reality show showing on TV?" It's not the greatest sentence. You could say, "When is the reality show playing on TV?"
    Hi guys,

Sorry for jumping in, but I actually have a quite relevant question to ask.

I most often say, "What time is The Weakest Link coming today?" Considering your answer, sir, I use the wrong preposition. Should it be "What time is The Weakest Link showing today?"

Re: reality show

"What time is 'The Weakest Link' showing today?" would be proper and correct, but I probably wouldn't say it this way. We often hear about show times at the theater (or cinema) and that this movie or that film will be showing (or playing) at such and such a time. The announcer may also tell us that a particular program will be airing on channel X at 7 p.m. tonight. Airing usually gives me the idea that this is the first time the program will be showing, but it might just be synonymous with broadcasting. However, if I as a viewer am speaking casually to myself or my friends, we usually just talk about what is on television and what time it is (on). What time is 'The Weakest Link' on today? When is 'Survivor'? Very lazy, dropping all those extra words, but that's the way it is.

Coming isn't really a synonym for showing... but that doesn't mean it's wrong. If you said "What time is 'The Weakest Link' coming on today?" I probably wouldn't blink. If you leave out the "on" it sounds a bit unusual. We do hear of things coming to television, but usually it's an advertisement or promo to tell us that it's "coming soon!" (Coming soon to a theater near you!) For regular programming, that may be less common: "Tonight, on The Weakest Link..." [music, pictures, people crying and screaming] "Watch our most exciting episode ever as a cowboy, an astronaut, a school teacher and an Elvis impersonator face off to see who is... The Weakest Link!"

Please do not call me "sir".