• Post Thanks / Like

Question The mix condition

Hello everybody!
    Yesterday,I found a new structure of Condition sentence which is called "The mix condition".I don't understand what it means and I can't discriminateit from "The second condition sentence" because they both describe the event that is not real.
    Could you show me the way to define and use it?
    Thank you very much!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: The mix condition

Quote Originally Posted by Royalty_no1 View Post
    Hello everybody!
    Yesterday,I found a new structure of Condition sentence which is called "The mix condition".I don't understand what it means and I can't discriminateit from "The second condition sentence" because they both describe the event that is not real.
    Could you show me the way to define and use it?
    Thank you very much!
    Have a look at the sentences:

Second conditional clause mixed with Third conditional clause
    If I had a car I could have given you a lift yesterday.
    Yesterday, your friend needed to get to town badly. You happened to meet her in front of her house. You couldn't give her a lift because you don't own a car.

Third conditional sentence
    If I had had a car I could have given you a lift yesterday.
    In this case, you own a car, but yesterday, when you met your friend, you were just walking past her house. You couldn't give her a lift because you didn't have your car then.
    -------------------------------------------
    Third conditional clause mixed with Second conditional clause
    If I had sold my old car, I would have a new one.
    You wanted to get yourself a brand-new car. The trouble was you didn't sell your old one; so you couldn't buy a new one. You still own that old car of yours now.

Third conditional sentence
    If I had sold my old car, I would have had a new one (when I need it).
    There was a time when you wanted to sell your old car. You needed to get yourself a brand-new one so that you could travel faster in your work. Eventually you didn't buy one. You lost your customers and finally your job.
    It's possible for you to own a brand-new car now, but not necessarily. You are just looking back at your work life at some point back in time.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your post Mr.engee30!
    You help me know more about the mix condition through your example.In my book,the examples are simple and they don't express it clearly like you so that I could only understand a little about it.Thanks again!
    But could you tell me the meaning of this condition sentence?Through your example,I've just only understood one specific case and I want to know about the general meaning of this condition.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: The mix condition

Quote Originally Posted by Royalty_no1 View Post
    Thanks for your post Mr.engee30!
    You help me know more about the mix condition through your example.In my book,the examples are simple and they don't express it clearly like you so that I could only understand a little about it.Thanks again!
    But could you tell me the meaning of this condition sentence?Through your example,I've just only understood one specific case and I want to know about the general meaning of this condition.
    You will already have noticed the fact that sometimes the time in the if clause and the time in the result clause do not seem to agree. In the following examples the past and present times are mixed:

FACT: Our founding fathers fought for our freedom, so we are a sovereign country now. (past)
    CONDITIONAL: If our founding fathers had not fought for our freedom, we would not be a sovereign country now. (past-Type 3 and present-Type 2)
    The sentence shows that something which happened in the past has resulted in a condition that takes place in the present time.

The meaning of the if and result clauses in the Type 3/Type 2 Conditional sentence is as follows:
    Untrue/Unreal in the past (in the If Clauses), Untrue in the present (in the Result Clauses)

The form of verb in the if clause is Past Perfect (If our founding fathers had not fought for our our freedom,...)
    The form of verb in the result clause is would + simple form , also referred to as Future Simple in the Past (we would not be a sovereign country now.)

If our founding fathers had not fought for our freedom, we would not be a sovereign country now.
    The fact is, our founding fathers fought for our freedom, and we are a sovereign country now.
    -------------------------------------
    FACT: I am not a king ('extended' present referring to the fact that you are, and never was, a king; and you never will, probably), so I didn't buy that cadillac for my partner. (past)
    CONDITIONAL: If I were a king, I would have bought that cadillac for my partner. (present-Type 2 and past-Type 3)
    The sentence shows that something which is the case now (and then) has resulted in a condition that takes place in the past time.

The meaning of the if and result clauses in the Type 2/Type 3 Conditional sentence is as follows:
    Untrue in the present (in the If Clauses), Unreal in the past (in the Result Clauses)

The form of verb in the if clause is Past Simple (If I were a king.)
    The form of verb in the result clause is would + have + past participle, also referred to as Future Perfect in the Past (I would have bought that cadillac for my partner.)

If I were a king, I would have bought that cadillac for my partner.
    The fact is, I am not a king, and so I didn't buy that cadillac.

• Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mr Engee30.Now I understand 99,99% the usage of this condition If I hadn't met you,I wouldn't have understood this structure! Best wishes to you!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

• Post Thanks / Like

As a footnote:

Often, one or both clauses in a "mixed" conditional statement relate to a state, not an action. Thus in E's first example

1. If I had a car I could have given you a lift yesterday.

"having a car" is a state, while "giving a lift" is an action.

A state such as "having a car" is likely to exist across the past, the present, and the future; whereas an action is likely to be tied to one particular time.

Consequently, a present state (unlike a present action) can serve as a condition for a past action, as in #1 above.

Best wishes,

MrP

Not a professional ESL teacher.

• Post Thanks / Like

But is it used regularly in English?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location: