Best and the best

Hi,
    I'd like to know a few things about the use of 'best' and 'the best' in a senctence.

First off, the place of 'best' as an adverb in a sentence. I've been told that an adverd in English can be placed either before or after the verb it relates to (Can anyone verify this?) and therefore I think that in my examples below the place of 'best' is in both cases acceptable:

"Of all the policies I've heard today, there are only 2 that fit best my
    ideas " (*)

"Of all the policies I've heard today, there are only 2 that best fit my ideas"

(*) here however, I would tend to say:
    "Of all the policies I've heard today, there are only 2 that fit my
    ideas best"
    Moreover, I would even say that this is more correct. Then again, this could just be a false assumption.

Finally, I would like to know whether 'best' and 'the best' can be used interchangeably as in the example below:
    "These shoes fit best"
    "These shoes fit the best"

Please settle this little issue for me,
    thanks in advance

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Best and the best

I've been told that an adverd in English can be placed either before or after the verb it relates to (Can anyone verify this?)
    Some adverbs are more flexible than others- ones like 'sometimes' can go pretty much anywhere, but 'never' doesn't work after a verb most of the time. Also, adverbs can do things besides modifying verbs- they can modify adjectives, other adverbs and whole sentences.

I wouldn't use 'fit best' in your example. I think i would use it when there was nothing after it:
    I got the black one because it fit best.