Student or Learner
I've just finished reading The Shipman's tale, but I'm not sure I got the story right.
I think I've missed some of the thing that happen in the story.
Would you be so kind to tell me if something is missing from this résumé?
- The merchant's wife ask sir John, the monk, to lend her 100 francs
- to do so the monk ask them, lying, to the merchant
- the merchant gives the money to the monk and goes far away to do his job
- the monk and the merchant's wife sleep together
- when the merchant is back he asks his wife if the monk paid back.
- She says that the monk did so, but she spent all the money and that she will pay his husband back in nature.
I have this strange feeling that I'm missing something.
And I can't understand what the woman wanted the money for.
Please explain me,
I'm not trying to have my homework done, I'm reading The Canterbury Tales just for sport.